USB ATSC Tuners

Jim1348

DTVUSA Member
I am looking for an external USB ATSC tuner that does not require software additional to be installed. I assume that all of them require some sort of additional software to be downloaded, but I thought I would check here.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Hey Jim, when you say additional software, are you talking about a separate player? My hauppauge required some drivers and the program Win TV to run it.

JakesDTVBlog

DTVUSAForum Member, , , Webmaster of: Jake's DTV B
Trip sent me an AverMedia Volar tuner to try out. The AverTV software isn't obtrusive nor does it use excessive resources, and I reckon it would've worked with Media Center (avoiding AverTV), but my netbook doesn't have that.

For the record, I was quite pleased with the performance of the tuner, and plan to get one as soon as I have the chance.

TVTom51

DTVUSA Member
I am looking for an external USB ATSC tuner that does not require software additional to be installed. I assume that all of them require some sort of additional software to be downloaded, but I thought I would check here.
Jim, are you trying to avoid using up system resources? Most USB tuner cards require 2.0GHZ or higher processor.

Piggie

Super Moderator
No, I was just hoping to plug it into the USB and have it work, but it sounds like it will not work until drivers are downloaded onto the computer.
Because it's a software decode. My XP reconizes it but can't do anything with it since it takes software to run most USB tuners. how they make them so small.