Using abandon Directv cabling for hd tv antenna

U

Unregistered

I have been trying to get OTA tv signals in my area. Tried 3 indoor antennas with no luck, tried 2 amplified and 1 non amplified. My ? is I have Directv cabling left over from dumping the dish, so can I use the cabling to attach an antenna to where the dish was ? I'll disconnect the cabling from the small converter box under the house, connecting the cable from the antenna to the the cable that leads to the tv. ?

Cables. At the dish there are 2 cables 1 is a 75 ohm cable the other is a thicker black cable, both go to a converter box under the house. the converter box has 3 connections 1--75 ohm cable 1--thicker black cable 1--thicker black cable goes to the tv.

Thanks

Brad

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Brad,

Before you buy any more antennas to try, please show us your free antenna reception report which can be had here: TV Fool then post the resulting URL for us to study. Be sure to include the maximum possible height where you could install an antenna. We can help.

Jim

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I have been trying to get OTA tv signals in my area. Tried 3 indoor antennas with no luck, tried 2 amplified and 1 non amplified. My ? is I have Directv cabling left over from dumping the dish, so can I use the cabling to attach an antenna to where the dish was ? I'll disconnect the cabling from the small converter box under the house, connecting the cable from the antenna to the the cable that leads to the tv. ?

Cables. At the dish there are 2 cables 1 is a 75 ohm cable the other is a thicker black cable, both go to a converter box under the house. the converter box has 3 connections 1--75 ohm cable 1--thicker black cable 1--thicker black cable goes to the tv.

Thanks

Brad
Recycling DirecTV cables and mounts are certainly a good way to mount a OTA antenna. Depending on the direction that your signals are coming from, you may need to relocate it. I have to believe that both cables are 75 ohm, just that the thicker cable is a better grade. I'd use the thicker cable, and use a barrel connector to connect the two pieces so it runs direct to the TV. But, as Jim said above we can't help you with what antenna you need and which direction to point it without the URL from your TV Fool report.