Using converter box

Lortra8

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I hooked up my Apex box. Scanned and got 3 Spanish channels (167-1
2 & 3). Guess I'll have to get outdoor antenna. But~how do I USE the box?
Leave it on or off? Use my tv remote or Apex remote? How do I even get to the above mentioned channels? My tv remote doesnt go there. Am completely confused as to how to use this~assuming of course that its working and I have channels to see...

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Once you set your box up, and set your television to the correct channel to receive transmissions from the converter box (if necessary), then you should not need to operate the controls on your television, except to turn it on and off, and adjust the volume. Generally, the CECB converter boxes have a way you can set them up to turn on and off your television, and control its volume; read the converter box manual to find the instructions for that, if available.

Regardless, you tune in channels using the remote for the converter box, not the remote for your television. All of the converter boxes, of course, support the XX-X type channel numbers.

Regarding your reception issues: What is your Zip Code? Are there any peculiarities of your specific location in your town? (Are you up high, in a valley, in a forest of tall trees, surrounded by tall buildings, etc.?) Which antenna are you using? If it is directional, which direction are you pointing it? Where is the antenna in relation to the side of your home? What is your home constructed of (wood, masonry, or steel)?

TonyT

DTVUSA Member
Definitely need more info, zip code (for determining your distance from the broadcast towers), what type of indoor antenna you're using now, and what type of converter box you're using.

Lortra8

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Follow up w/more info

Hi~My zipcode is 96065. I live in a mobile home. The channels I want to receive are within 60 miles. My convertor box is Apex DT502. My tv has
UHF/VHF rabbit ears and I'm using RCA Multi-Directional Digital Flat Antenna. AND...I can't get any digital channels~only 1 clear analog channel (3 if you count Spanish channels). Thanks for your help. Lori

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Well, keep in mind that the digital television transition generally will result in your being able to tune in the same television stations that you were able to tune in before the transition. So if you have been able to only tune in one analog television station (presumably channel 7, ABC -- and both antennaweb.org and tvfool.com indicates that, reasonably speaking, given your location and terrain, one analog station is all you can reasonably be expected to be able to tune in, at this point), then after the digital transition is complete, you'll likely be able to tune in just one digital television station (channel 7.1, again ABC -- actually, you should also be able to tune in a PBS station, channel 9.1 -- so two stations.)

The stations you're aiming for -- they're actually only 52 miles away -- are low-power stations. And besides, they're blocked by the mountains between their transmitters and the valley you live in. The image below shows your situation (and what I meant by you living in a "dead zone"). The transmitter is on the left, and you live on the right.

Attachments

ok your solution would be an outdoor antenna best one for you antenna direct 91-xg with wine guard 4800 pre amp mounted about 20ft also channel master 9251A rotator. this should do the trick, if signal is weak tilt the antenna up 15 degrees on its mount and this will help with the 2 edge transmitters. bunny ears wil not work because of distance and no line of sight.:) solidsignal.com is the place to buy equipment for this setup.

Lortra8

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Previous anolog channels/antennas

Previously I could NOT get channel 7 (still can't). I got PBS, FOX (on35), NBC ( on 8-still do), & CBS (on 46)~& occasionally E! (on 64). All w/just my UHF/VHF rabbit ears. And various Spanish channels.
Now NBC & Spanish are all the anolog channels I get. Digitally~PBS
(25-1,2,3) & Spanish (67-1,2,3). These w/rabbit ears & RCA 1500 Flat
Multi-Directional Indoor Antenna. I can't use an outdoor antenna due to Mobile Home Park rules.
But I'm not trying to receive signals 50+ miles away or over mountains.
FOX & NBC are both 30.9 miles south in Salinas (I'm in Santa Cruz, Ca). Both on the same light green radar line, 107 degrees. One I get, one I don't. I can't remember where CBS is from, but it's 37.1 miles, also light green on radar, 133 degrees. I should be able to receive them...Lori

bicker

DTVUSA Member
That's right... you told me that before. Sorry, I forgot.

Here's what your local reception looks like:

With an indoor antenna, you're not really going to get any of those channels out in those outer bands. Channels with reception in the green area would work, and perhaps some in the yellow, but basically everything is outside your reception range, even the stations from Salinas.

Attachments

Previously I could NOT get channel 7 (still can't). I got PBS, FOX (on35), NBC ( on 8-still do), & CBS (on 46)~& occasionally E! (on 64). All w/just my UHF/VHF rabbit ears. And various Spanish channels.
Now NBC & Spanish are all the anolog channels I get. Digitally~PBS
(25-1,2,3) & Spanish (67-1,2,3). These w/rabbit ears & RCA 1500 Flat
Multi-Directional Indoor Antenna. I can't use an outdoor antenna due to Mobile Home Park rules.
But I'm not trying to receive signals 50+ miles away or over mountains.
FOX & NBC are both 30.9 miles south in Salinas (I'm in Santa Cruz, Ca). Both on the same light green radar line, 107 degrees. One I get, one I don't. I can't remember where CBS is from, but it's 37.1 miles, also light green on radar, 133 degrees. I should be able to receive them...Lori
due to FCC regulations they cannot keep you from putting up an antenna to receive over the air broadcasts it is against federal law.