Question: using the current indoor antena i have

gxv54rt

DTVUSA Jr. Member
i have a little antenna in my room. NO im NOT going to buy any antenna that costs more than $20..0.

i noticed on antenna stations search websites they list shannels i dont get. i know the 1 answer is "the size of the antenna itself matters". the height of the antenna definitely matters. why cant i get channels that are closer than the other ones i DO get? obviously something is in the way, right?

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: gxv

Please run a free TV reception survey for us and post the resulting URL here for us to study: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29 For best results, use your address and the maximum height above ground level where you 'could' mount an antenna: that site will automatically conceal your personal info for your security.

When we can 'see' your reception situation, our Staff will be able to make recommendations for you.

It would also help us if we knew what you are currently using as an antenna.

Jim and the DTVUSA Forum Staff

gxv54rt

DTVUSA Jr. Member
here are those results http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=e2cb3b889ee00f

do you want a scanner copy of my notes on what seberal sites say are bnear me and which arent near me? in my notes also is a few details about 45 (wneo) being close enough tio recieve it. and 45 (w44cr) closer than the 1st 45 yet i donmt get the w44cr channels. do you want that too?

my antenna is this one (they say it reaches 40 miles.). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HKGK8Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the 1 rabbit ear is loose in the base. so that might be making the antenna performance less than 100%. you agree?

i dont know how you work that circle on the survey page you told me to go to. but id say it doesnt pick up all the channels and networks i can get here.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I don't expect you would get more than the first 6 channels with rabbit ears.
That said, Where is the antenna now, and can you put the antenna in a west facing window?

Now, if you want to get better reception for less than $20, I suggest this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Eagle-Aspen-DTV2BUHF-DirecTV-Approved-2-Bay-UHF-Outdoor-Antenna/21152494
It's actually designed for outdoors, but it can be used indoors if you can mount it creatively. Yea, its not pretty... but it's the best for under $15

gxv54rt

DTVUSA Jr. Member
mrpogi do you need a photo of my room with my tv and antenna in it or anything like that? and no i aint buying any of those outdoor antennas. the antenna's cord is only 4 feet long. so im waiting till i can get female to female coaxial adapters because i have some coax cables here that noone needs.

no i dont have awindow on the west wall. but what i do to get the different channels when i need to see them is i turn the antenna and have the tv auto-scan again. thats okay because you know why? its free and the antenna is less than $1 and i dont mind turning the antenna and rescanning every time.

so the direction id need to point the antenna for the other channels like 11.1, 9.1, 23.1, 44, etc id need to aim west huh?

gxv54rt

DTVUSA Jr. Member
the edit button aint working so i put this here...

the pictures go out a number of times. not just garbleing the show up but making there be "no signal". what fixes the "no signal" part????

Fringe Reception

Staff member
gxv,

Your antenna is dual-directional and it should be broadside toward the signal sources, but rotating it a few degrees may help. Per your drawing, its currently oriented to receive signals from the north and south.

A loss of picture / audio and a "No Signal" report can be caused by several things. A weak signal may be on the threshold of becoming dependable and it would improve by using a better antenna. It can be caused by electrical 'noise' sources such as fluorescent lights, electric motors, power tools,etc. as well as poor quality antenna signal amplifiers. Trees with foliage that move in the wind can alternately allow and absorb the TV signals to your antenna.

Usually its caused by multipath reception: your antenna receives a signal directly from the transmitter AND from another direction such as a reflection off of an airplane, building or mountain: the duplicated data confuses your digital tuner. Back in the analog TV days when you saw 'ghosts' on your screen such as a horse with two tails, that was caused by multipath reception: the second horse tail arrived a few miliseconds late, causing the double-image. This can usually be improved using a better antenna.

One other reason that doesn't apply to your situation is receiving too much signal which overloads your tuner.

Jim

Fringe Reception

Staff member
gxv,

Yes, if there were signals originating from your north and / or south, you would want your antenna broadside to those signals, as drawn. RF channel 9 (NBC) is the only possible candidate and it would be received by the Rabbit Ear portion of your antenna, not the loop.

Jim

gxv54rt

DTVUSA Jr. Member
you said this "One other reason that doesn't apply to your situation is receiving too much signal which overloads your tuner. ".

thats probably what happens some of the times when i use the antenna.

gxv54rt

DTVUSA Jr. Member
im going to buy this antenna again. this time as new. and NO im not going to buy a stronger antenna or larger one. im just hapy that i can get free tv for less than 15$.

gxv54rt

DTVUSA Jr. Member
now i remember what i forgot to mention. i prefer the poorer way. which is just going out and buying an antenna thats $10 bucks or less. and thats an indoor one and nice and really easy to use. i got to a radio reading service at my local goodwill. and i have friends there to visit with. i volunteer there. and a friend says "but its so wonderful guy and its free too! go chek it out at your house. " and he said "you dont need to spend any more than 15 or 20$. just buy a cheap one and get just a few channels. since the Tvs are now able to bring in digital channels. this way you get even more than what we did years ago. there arent just 21, 27, 33 and 45 guy. theres some channel called GetTV. thats on '19.1'.".

Fringe Reception

Staff member
im going to buy this antenna again. this time as new. and NO im not going to buy a stronger antenna or larger one. im just hapy that i can get free tv for less than 15$.
Do what you want, but the antenna Mr Pogi suggested and I verified as superior would be a much better answer for you at about the same price. When you receive the same poor results from a duplicated comparatively poor antenna -- don't blame us for your choice.

Jim

Last edited: