Utica Mayor reconsiders city charter agreement with Time Warner

n2rj

Staff member
Good luck with that! Which other signal providers are they talking about? Time Warner is a monopoly only because other companies do not want to provide service. FiOS has pretty much halted deployment and other big cable companies will not set up shop. They all have that agreement with each other that they will not compete with each other. The only hope is that an overbuilder such as RCN will build out service or that the city will run its own cable network. RCN is in bad financial shape and to build out a new network would take a while.

They are stuck with Time Warner for the while unless they can figure out something else.

JoeM

DTVUSA Member
I was visiting my aunt who lives in a village just outside of Utica and she was talking about this dispute. I really think it's kind of funny, but TimeWarner really has them where it hurts.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Here's an idea: Utica could run its own cable system.

Or... Community antenna system? Here's their TVfool ( random location in the city)
TV Fool

Infrastructure is there, it wouldn't take much to operate it. Some contracts with networks, some antennas and agreements with local stations. It could actually turn a profit for the city or county.

MrPogi

Staff member
Syracuse, for years, was what Utica used for "local" tv OTA. it's not a big market, very rural.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
Utica generally gets CBS from WTVH in Syracuse. Some parts may also get WRGB Albany or WWNY Watertown.

- Trip

n2rj

Staff member
Here's an idea: Utica could run its own cable system.

Or... Community antenna system? Here's their TVfool ( random location in the city)
TV Fool

Infrastructure is there, it wouldn't take much to operate it. Some contracts with networks, some antennas and agreements with local stations. It could actually turn a profit for the city or county.
Running its own cable TV system would be nice, but I could see a few potential pitfalls. One of them is the massive resistance they'll get from Time Warner, who will basically bombard the residents with propaganda about how Utica is "wasting their tax dollars". Or they could just plain sue the city, as has been done.

But if successful, the city could build out a really nice municipal fiber (to the home) network, with internet, phone and TV service that could spur economic development as it would be an incentive for people to live there and businesses to set up shop there. Other towns around the country are setting up muni fiber systems with great success. However, they'd likely have to apply for some federal funding for it, which is how other places did it.

Chips

DTVUSA Member
Time Warner appears to hold all the cards here. With fiber Time Warner change it's antenna feeds, so the antenna mill that serves Utica could be miles away. Also in many small cities in New York, Time Warner is basically the only broadband provider, what happens to the Internet and phone service, do those customers lose that service from Time Warner? If you have any size business, large or small, it is a good chance you are relying on Time Warner for the internet connection you need to conduct business, including most stores, using the internet to process credit cards, not to mention many or probably all of the Banks in the area, what happens if it is gone? Time Warner also provides the interne backbone to many Universities in upstate NY, because they own most of the fiber to Upstate NY. For that matter, as a cable provider they really own upstate NY. I don't like Time Warner, but they appear to be too big to beat.

MrPogi

Staff member
Whatever happened to antitrust laws? Yea, I know they are on the books but totally ignored.

"Too big to beat" or "Too big to fail" = just plain "Too big".

n2rj

Staff member
The problem is that no one else wants to build out a network. Just look at verizon - they've halted new Fios rollouts and are concentrating on wireless. They've partnered with directv for tv service and have sold off the less profitable markets to fairpoint and frontier. It's a complete joke now.

The only way for there to be viable competition now is for the city to build out a fiber network and lease it to competing providers. Let them deliver the tv via IP and you will have tons of competition.

But don't hold your breath on that one.