vcr,tv,dvd,hookup dtv box,watch & record

mags

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Hello and thank you for taking the time to read this.

Currently I have an RF modulator box that connects to my newer Sanyo dvd player. And also connected is an old GE vcr that both work fine with my old GE tv that has only 1 input for antenna. (I use rabbit ears and a roter box to get better picture)

My question is: how do I connect all of that with the RF modulator box (which is needed for use of the newer dvd player that does not support RF input/output) to my HD Acess DTA 1080 converter box so I can watch one channel and simultaniously record another show at the same time with my vcr and still have my dvd player hooked up?

I have a lot of coaxial cables & RWY cables
a/b switch
2 RF way splitter
2 HD access converter boxes
RF Modulator Box

I hope I have all the necessities required.

I have researched online but haven't found an answer to this one yet.

Easy and simple instructions if you know the answer to this would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

mags

Last edited:

mags

DTVUSA Jr. Member
says antenna, and to other holes one says focus and other says FS. No red,white,yellow connections on back or front of tv. Tv is pretty old.

mags

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks cowboy. Great nickname by btw! I tried that with a smilar link http://tv.about.com/b/2005/04/06/q-a-connecting-digital-cable-to-tv-through-rf-modulator.htm which did work for me except that I still cannot record & watch another channel at the same time on VHS.
I don't watch and record often on VHS but once in a while it happens that 2 shows are televised at the same time. That's life.
Thanks for your help.

I understand you can hookup your tv, vcr to conveter box to watch and record another channel at same time but there are no instructions on how to include the dvd player in that same hookup I've come across. That's the problem I've encountered.

Last edited:
I'm assuming nobody knows the answer to this. Should I just ditch the vcr altogether and purchase a dvdr/player?
No, not at all, but, you will need 2 converter boxes if you'd like to watch one channel, and record another. Is that what you're trying to accomplish? If not, you'll be able to connect everything using the RF modulator and maybe a splitter. It's going to be somewhat tough to explain by words, but I can definitely try if you're not going to need that second converter box. If you do want to record and watch TV at the same time, it will require slightly modified setup (and the cost of that second converter box.). Let us know.

Last edited:

mags

DTVUSA Jr. Member
No, not at all, but, you will need 2 converter boxes if you'd like to watch one channel, and record another. Is that what you're trying to accomplish?
If not, you'll be able to connect everything using the RF modulator and maybe a splitter. It's going to be somewhat tough to explain by words, but I can definitely try if you're not going to need that second converter box. If you do want to record and watch TV at the same time, it will require slightly modified setup (and the cost of that second converter box.). Let us know

Hi and thanks for the reply. Yes I would like to watch one channel and record another. I do have 2 converter boxes. Currently my setup is exactly as the first illustration at this link.

How do I connect my DVD Player, VCR to TV

Below that shows you how to set up for watch and record with vcr but doesn't include the dvd player in the hookup.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
OK, should be pretty easy. The only thing confusing about that diagram, is it looks like it's set up for basic cable. You won't need a converter box at all if you're connect to cable.

This is just one way to connect everything, so if anyone thinks of a more efficient way to do this, let me know.

Now on to the setup
The only thing you'll need to buy is a piece of coax wire and an A/B switch. Total cost should be, $5 or so.

1st thing - remove coax (antenna cable) connection from TV (that connects to RF modulator, but don't disconnect it from the RF modulator). Connect that coax to the A input part of the A/B Switch

Now connect the new coax to the output of the splitter and into the coax connection into the TV (the one where you originally had the RF modulator plugged into).

Test: At this point, with your A/B switch set to A, your setup should work (even though we haven't connected any converter box yet) just like it used to. Test it out, just to make sure.

Second, connect one converter box to the B input of the A/B switch with a piece of coax cable (should have come with your converter box). You'll also need an antenna for the converter box.

Test: Make sure the converter box is working correctly by switching the A/B switch to B and setting your TV channel to 3 or 4. Do a autochannel scan, and confirm that you are receiving DTV channels.

Third, connect your second converter box to the input of your VCR. So you'll have the output coax going from your converter box to your VCR, then the rest of the connections will stay the same. You'll also need an antenna for this converter box.

Test: You can go back and forth between viewing the VCR/Converter and Converter by pressing the A or B on the A/B switch. Watching DVDs should be done the same way you've always done, except with the addition of making sure the A/B switch is set to A.

Hope this helps.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Mags, have you already purchased both of the converter boxes? It just dawned on me that you'll probably want to buy two different brands with two different remotes. If you have 2 of the same, it'll be a chore changing channels on just one box, because the remote will send radio signals telling both converter boxes to change channels at the same time.

mags

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thank you both for your help. I do have an a/b switch and a 2 way splitter.

I have 2 problems.

I do not have cable tv.

Also I have 2 of the same brand converter boxes. Had I known that before I would have bought different brands. I guess I am gonna have to buy a different one then.

Thanks again for your help.

mags

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Last edited: