VH-1 following Mtv's footsteps

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
I will admit that Vh-a does have a few good shows, but other than that they are getting just as bad as MTV. They took away all the good things such as "Behind The Music", "Pop Up Videos", etc and replaced it with "Top Ten Reality Show Break Downs" and " Worlds Dumbest Pranks". It's not surprising that MTV and VH-1 have the same owner. I guess we all have to rely on the internet now to get good music videos.

I'm getting so tired of reality shows. It's like, whoever does the most outrageous backstabbing thing on thos shows gets to be the star. I loved "Popup Videos" when I was younger!!! hehe

Fardreamer

DTVUSA Member
I will admit that Vh-a does have a few good shows, but other than that they are getting just as bad as MTV. They took away all the good things such as "Behind The Music", "Pop Up Videos", etc and replaced it with "Top Ten Reality Show Break Downs" and " Worlds Dumbest Pranks". It's not surprising that MTV and VH-1 have the same owner. I guess we all have to rely on the internet now to get good music videos.

VH-1 once was good; it used to be MTV's sister channel and played older music videos while MTV ran the newer ones. Then Viacom, which owns both, saw how cheap those reality shows are to make and changed the content of both channels to de-emphasize music videos and focus on trashy shows.

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
If I had to choose though, I would definitely take Vh-1 over Mtv. Although they have a bunch of cheesy shows now, at least they are geared towards people over 18.

Mattrick

DTVUSA Jr. Member
What I hate about the reality shows is that its not really reality. I mean, they have rules and guidelines. If it was reality, they would just not have anything to fallow but whatever happens.

VH-1 sold out long ago, but these days, it's all about profit for these big companies. Just listen to how different music is today and what the singers look like compared to the seventies or eighties.

VH-1 sold out long ago, but these days, it's all about profit for these big companies. Just listen to how different music is today and what the singers look like compared to the seventies or eighties.
Aww, Kanye West and Justin Timberlake may be part of the "machine" these days, but I still love their music!

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
Aww, Kanye West and Justin Timberlake may be part of the "machine" these days, but I still love their music!

But those two artists actually have some talent though, and I think that's the difference. Now they may not be the type of genre that everyone likes, but musically they know what they are doing. However, 90% of the other junk out there right now is just that: junk.

I miss the pop up videos too. Although VH1 sometimes has a decent movie, theres seldom any videos. I don't get it. Why wouldn't you play music videos on music TV? is it all about the advertisers?

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I miss the pop up videos too. Although VH1 sometimes has a decent movie, theres seldom any videos. I don't get it. Why wouldn't you play music videos on music TV? is it all about the advertisers?
It's the downward spiral in program quality like this that made the transition to OTA DTV easy for me. When I had cable I found myself channel surfing for something good to watch, but never finding it.