VHF reception on a UHF antenna

Jim1348

DTVUSA Member
That is a tough one to answer accurately. There is an old saying when it comes to antennas. Essentially that ANY antenna will get SOME signal on ANY frequency. That really doesn't answer you question, though. The bottom line is a UHF antenna will receive VHF, but of course the bottom line for you is will it work in your particular location. If you post a few more details I can probably make a more informed prediction. For example, which VHF channels are you trying to receive? How far away from the transmitter is the receiving antenna? This will be comparing apples to oranges, but I have a Channel Master 8 bay antenna that I receive RF channels 9 & 11 very well. I am about 20 miles from the Shoreview MN Towers. I will say, however, that not all UHF antennas will receive VHF equally well.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
I'm using an XG91 by itself and VHF is a lost cause. WVPT-11 is clearly present on the spectrum analyzer, but has vicious multipath that keeps it from decoding.

A simple rabbit ear I touched to it suddenly made WWBT-12 decode from 70-ish miles out, then when I separated the two, the signal vanished into the noise again.

I'd definitely recommend a dedicated VHF antenna to compliment the XG91 based on that experience.

- Trip

Radioman447

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I'm using an XG91 by itself and VHF is a lost cause. WVPT-11 is clearly present on the spectrum analyzer, but has vicious multipath that keeps it from decoding.

A simple rabbit ear I touched to it suddenly made WWBT-12 decode from 70-ish miles out, then when I separated the two, the signal vanished into the noise again.

I'd definitely recommend a dedicated VHF antenna to compliment the XG91 based on that experience.

- Trip
I am using a 2 meter Horizontally polarized VHF loop antenna and i am able to pick up all of the stations clearly in the Richmond, VA (VHF and UHF)area as well as most mornings and evenings pick up 3.1,15.1-15.3,21,1-21.5, 31.1 -31.2(no pic on 31.2)33.1,33.2,and 43.1 out of Hampton Roadsand 14.1 out of Maryland I am using an RCA video signal amp(22db)