VHS < DVD < Blu-ray < Streaming < What's next?

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
Just curious as to what everyone thinks is going to be the next great technology for media and movies? Is streaming the end-all solution?

Just curious as to what everyone thinks is going to be the next great technology for media and movies? Is streaming the end-all solution?
You may put VHS at the bottom but there are still some movies I would prefer to watch on VHS than any other format. For instance, VHS and Laserdisc are the only two ways to view the original "Yubnub" ending to Star Wars Return of the Jedi. Also it contains the original unedited (and undestroyed) version of Blade Runner which proves that Deckard is NOT a replicant. Ridley Scott has recently changed this in new versions, but as Harrison Ford, and Phillip K. Dick for that matter, have always maintained Deckard is in fact human, and they can never pry that VHS proof from my hands!

SamuelB

DTVUSA Member
Wow, that's a fascinating question, makes me wonder... First thing I think of is not exactly a new technology but... free internet everywhere. I've heard one country in Europe, Finland I think? Has decided access to Internet to be a basic human right. If we had stron, free internet connection everywhere, it would surely make it easier for everyone - streaming movies not only when home, but wherever else.

Maybe if they manage to get internet's speed faster and faster, you could just put a HD video file on your device in matter of seconds, like dragging an icon through the screen. That wouldn't exactly be streaming, just an extra fast download that could help avoid buffering. But that's no new technology either, just improving existing one...

...and if we had ultra fast internet, buffering wouldn't even be a problem. I won't be a scientist I guess.

Brain chip implants so you can see anything at anytime just by thinking about it. I'm serious. It's coming.

When that goes 3D, it will become very difficult to distinguish reality from what's on your hit list viewing queue. Then we are all in the Matrix. (Hum Twilight Zone theme.)

Rick

SamuelB

DTVUSA Member
Would we want to have implants in our brains, though? I think a large majority would feel rather violated, me included, if someone tried to put something in my head... Especially if it wasn't for any health reasons but just to have fun. In a few decades, maybe, but I think the society would need to totally change its mentality to agree to something like that.

Would we want to have implants in our brains, though?
If you can immediately double your IQ, doesn't that qualify as a health reason? Naturally, the chips will be WiFi'd so we can instantly harness the power of the internet -- just think about a question and you know the answer.

Health reason #2: "I've fallen and I can't get up" will no longer be a problem. Any kind of accident or medical emergency and the whole world knows about it in real time via the internet. Parents will pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to get every child implanted before its 1st birthday. Within a few years, the government will require the implant for every citizen. Implant holdouts will be shunned as unpatriotic, slow thinking burdens on society. There will be no secrets anymore -- only answers. :cheers:

Rick

I still have my laser disk player. I haven't used it in years but I do have a few LDs and, well, just in case I've kept it.
I know they were bulky and could get scratched, but honestly I still have my LD player hooked up to my Sony 50" and it is second only to blu-ray. Plus the cuts were untouched and its nice to see movies as the were orignially meant to be seen

SamuelB

DTVUSA Member
I know it will probably come to that in the end and I know the arguments. I just think it will be later than sooner - people just have this barrier and it will probably be overcome, but it will take years.

We still have a VHS (along with a Blu-Ray, old school DVD, and various methods to stream on our TV). I'm wondering how long til we see push back on movies being "too clean" with the digital recording, etc??? I'm guessing 5-10 years, it will come back in style :)
I do remember when you had to have a separate Betamax machine from the VHS player (when VHS was the rocking new technology!!).

bunny22

DTVUSA Member
Within a few years, the government will require the implant for every citizen. Implant holdouts will be shunned as unpatriotic, slow thinking burdens on society. There will be no secrets anymore -- only answers. :cheers:
Oh, gosh... I think I will have to be the holdout... I'm a tech lover, but if that actually happened I would have to turn Amish. :horse:

But regarding the original question... I think streaming will be the main method for a long time. Even if technology improves, with faster downloads, or 3-D images, or different devices to view the content on, it might still be considered streaming.

Cadus

DTVUSA Member
You may put VHS at the bottom but there are still some movies I would prefer to watch on VHS than any other format. For instance, VHS and Laserdisc are the only two ways to view the original "Yubnub" ending to Star Wars Return of the Jedi. Also it contains the original unedited (and undestroyed) version of Blade Runner which proves that Deckard is NOT a replicant. Ridley Scott has recently changed this in new versions, but as Harrison Ford, and Phillip K. Dick for that matter, have always maintained Deckard is in fact human, and they can never pry that VHS proof from my hands!
I don't think preference here is because of format, it's because of content. That same content could very well be in a DVD.

I think I'd be a bigger fan of VHS if mine didn't crap out on me just after DVDs became popular. Digital stuff is just too awesome.
Personally, I think that streaming is the way that all home entertainment is headed. We're already seeing that physical objects to watch things are becoming less and less popular. If you want a movie or show, to stream it from waves in the sky is the future.

MMkaho

DTVUSA Member
At this point nothing is physically possible besides streaming and Long live the VCR!!! I have tapes almost 27 years old still work without a problem to this date

Maybe all of these will just turn to streaming in different contexts. Like maybe a projector that's used to only stream movies from the internet. Or people just watching movies on Google Glass? Never mind, I'm terrified of the future.