Vintage AntennaCraft G1483 Hoverman Antenna

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
I am going to build a Hoverman based on the old discontinued AntennaCraft G1483. I am going to try a fence screen and collinear rods with it.

Any tips?

The Zig Zags are 7", the end stubs are 5", the spacing between the interior Zigs is 2", the upper and lower collinear reflector rods are 14" and the interior collinear rods are 10". Elements to reflector distance is 4"

Last edited:

EscapeVelocity

So I slapped together a prototype K1483 Hoverman real quick this afternoon.

Here are some pics. The elements are a little wik-wack. Also I used a scrap piece of wire fencing, and its not as wide as I wanted to make it. Its 22" wide, and I was planning 24" wide. Also oriented with the 2" gap vertical, which isnt what I envisioned either. But it's a start...

Last edited:

EscapeVelocity

I was looking online for information, and i found these other plans...

Which do you think I should use as a basis to build models to test, for possible sale in the future?

Im thinking the more along the lines of the DigitalHome and the AntennaCraft G1483. The Digitalhome being basically a scaled up model of the G1483. But Im wondering if the wider feedgap of the Jedsoft is desireable? Any tips?

DigitalHome

JedSoft

or the AntennaCraft G1483 above?

IDRick

DTVUSA Member
Posters on the Canadian forum have performed extensive modeling and testing with variant GH's. I'd trust their modeling and field testing. However, they are very protective of the patent for the GH. Tread carefully if you are going to market the antenna....

EscapeVelocity

Thanks!

So I should ditch their plans or any reference to them and do my own testing and development to avoid unecessary hassles. I looked at the Open GPL license, and it seems to allow for use, though. Additionally, I thought patents had expiration dates...and we are long past the expiration date of the original patent on the Hoverman?

Last edited:

EscapeVelocity

300ohm did an EZNEC2 model of the AntennaCraft G1483 "4 Bay" Hoverman, based on my measurements....here is the data...

All figures in dBi

jcrc

DTVUSA Rookie
Thanks!

So I should ditch their plans or any reference to them and do my own testing and development to avoid unnecessary hassles. I looked at the Open GPL license, and it seems to allow for use, though. Additionally, I thought patents had expiration dates...and we are long past the expiration date of the original patent on the Hoverman?
Use the Gray-Hoverman plans any way you wish as the Gray-Hoverman antenna "designs" are in the public domain thanks to the lack of a patent.

The GH designers mistakenly applied copyrights, rather than patents, to their ideas thinking they were, somehow, protecting/controlling those ideas. Copyrights, and the GPL, do not apply to designs or ideas. The GH folks have simply disclosed their ideas to the world and have, thus, placed their work in the public domain with no protections whatsoever. In an odd twist of fate, they have inadvertently achieved their goal of making their design usable by all, ensuring no one person and/or company can prevent others from manufacturing the GH antenna. The GH folks established Prior Art and we now all benefit from their excellent designs. Any company or individual may manufacture the GH designs; Anyone may commercially exploit this design.

If someone were to "improve" the GH design further, they could conceivably patent the improvement. Nothing the GH designers did with Copyrights and GPL prevents this.

You are correct about the original patents. Hoverman originally patented his ideas in two patents: 2918672 in 1959 and 3148371 in 1964. They, indeed, expired long ago.

Chuck

Last edited:
Need a lawyer

Any company or individual may manufacture the GH designs; Anyone may commercially exploit this design.
I did see an ad where someone put together a Hoverman and charged a reasonable fee for parts and labor. Strangely, the dimensions were closer to the AntennaCraft G1483 still available from Summit Source, than to the improved-for-current-TV-range Canadian design. These "new" designs just stretch out the size and/or tack on a couple different common types of reflectors. I doubt there's enough innovation there to support a patent.

And that's really the rub. The whole thing is unpatentable, so there's not going to be much to "exploit" commercially.

If someone were to "improve" the GH design further, they could conceivably patent the improvement. Nothing the GH designers did with Copyrights and GPL prevents this.
Well, there is specific language in the GPL license about profiting from "derivative works," which makes sense in terms of software, but not so much for antenna design. But you'd need to tread carefully, consult a lawyer, etc. Copyright law is an impenetrable morass.

Not saying what you suggest is impossible. I think it's possible, but you'd certainly need a lawyer, and that would probably wipe out the infinitesimal potential profits. :flush:

Rick