Visionary Science Fiction

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
True Names, by Vernor Vinge

Anybody read it?

Unbelievable this fellow wrote this in 1979!

Wikipedia

True Names was the science fiction novella which brought Vernor Vinge to prominence in 1981. It was one of the earliest stories to present a fully fleshed-out concept of cyberspace, which would later be central to stories in the cyberpunk genre. Because of this, it is often referenced as a seminal work of the genre. The story also contains elements of transhumanism, anarchism, and even hints about The Singularity. It was awarded the Prometheus Hall of Fame Award in 2007.

O-O

DTVUSA Member
Sounds interesting, the author must have been had a really good idea of where technology was going but at the same time, here we are in 2009 and no consumer VR setups for sale yet. Except for video games.

Did you see CaptlA's post about the new Tron movie coming out yet? :)

bicker

DTVUSA Member
I met Vinge once. Unforutunately, I don't really remember anything about him. :blush: (I was working security at a convention he was a guest at. I met a lot of people that stood out in my mind, more prominently, from those conventions. I remember distinctly driving Adam West around in my itty bitty sports car. Hahahahaha... he barely fit!)

O-O

DTVUSA Member
I met Vinge once. Unforutunately, I don't really remember anything about him. :blush: (I was working security at a convention he was a guest at. I met a lot of people that stood out in my mind, more prominently, from those conventions. I remember distinctly driving Adam West around in my itty bitty sports car. Hahahahaha... he barely fit!)
So does Adam really think that a race of megalomaniac mole-people live under a local golf course or is that just part of his Family Guy persona? ;)