Vizio brand TVs

How well does a Vizio TVs stack up against a Sony? It's hard to get an idea when looking at a side by side comparison at a electronics store. I always think they've got the settings messed with for color and contrast on the TV that doesn't make them the most money.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Sony and Samsung are the very best premium HDTV brands today, with superior quality and reliability.

Vizio is one of the very best discount HDTV brands today, providing superior value and affordability.

Generally, you wouldn't be choosing between a Sony and a Vizio... instead you'll determine whether you're looking for superior quality and reliability, or whether you're on a tight budget, and then look at brands that serve your specific needs.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Not sure how important this is to the OP, but Vizio is an American based company. Their TVs are manufactured offshore but the profits stay in the states.

<-- Sony and Mitsubishi TV owner. :p

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
Vizio is the #1 seller of LCD HDTVs in the US. They are an American company, and their products are not only very good, but their post sale support is top notch, superior to Samsung and Sony.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Well let's keep that in perspective: Vizio has only 85 employees in the United States (most of whom work in technical support or engineering). Vizio outsources manufacturing to low-cost, for-hire factories in Asia, as many other electronics-makers do. It is privately-held, so the company isn't available for Americans to invest in. One of its largest investors is Amtran, a Taiwan-based company. So while some corporate profits do stay in the United States, it isn't clear how many Americans actually benefit from the company being based here.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Well let's keep that in perspective: Vizio has only 85 employees in the United States (most of whom work in technical support or engineering).
85?? Not much at all, Sony probably has 10x that amount in the states but then again, that wouldn't be a fair comparision since Sony sells many more TVs.

So while some corporate profits do stay in the United States, it isn't clear how many Americans actually benefit from the company being based here.
How bout the hundreds of thousands of stockholders and 401K funds invested in Vizio?

bicker

DTVUSA Member
85?? Not much at all, Sony probably has 10x that amount in the states but then again, that wouldn't be a fair comparision since Sony sells many more TVs.
Do they? Vizio actually sells quite a lot. They did beat Sony at least one month (but I think that was just a one month thing).

How bout the hundreds of thousands of stockholders and 401K funds invested in Vizio?
Vizio is privately-held.

EscapeVelocity

Yeah, mine uses an LG panel has good MediaTek chipsets with Faroudja DCDi processing, EPG Guide, excellent OTA tuner, easily serviceable interior electronics layout.

Its been fantastic.

Vizio was started by William Wang, many may remember him from MagInnovision Monitors....that is where he made his fortune. He lost his fortune, and long story short, used his old monitor manufacturing connections to create Vizio. They are based out of Ventura California.

Very good value brand. I in fact prefer my Vizio to the Sony's and Samsung's because it has a matte screen, whereas Sony and Samsung use glossy neutral density filter screens to increase black levels...however they also increase annoying reflections.

The Samsung 4061, 4661, 4069, 4669 are the last of the Samsung matte screens.

Sony's last matte screen was the S3000 series, I believe. Very good 720p series.

Eureka

DTVUSA Member
Do the newest Vizios still lack an "Add new channels" or "Manual channel add" option in the menu? Previous ones I looked at could only do a complete channel scan, which wiped out previously found channels in the list. This made them impossible to use the TV with an antenna rotor.

Other than that fatal flaw, I thought they were great TVs.

Piggie

Super Moderator
So even on the new Vizios, there's still no way to scan for only new channels, without wiping out the previous scan?
My Mitsubishi doesn't have a channel add, but if you manually punch in the real channel it will try to tune the real RF channel with the mapped sub channel, not the real subchannel (most people don't even know subs are mapped).

But my Ölevia you must add a channel, even analog.

Thank you all for your help. I'm still undecided, I guess it depends on how good of a deal I can find. Main thing is I don't want to buy junk. This will be my first TV puchase in 10 years!

EscapeVelocity

Tom, Im biased to matte screen LCDs. If I were to purchase one right now, I would be looking for a Sharp matte screen (they have been moving to glossy screens of late)...but Sharp matte screens have better deeper blacks than Vizios. However Samsung and Sony make great LCDs too. Vizio as well.

Sharp
Vizio
Samsung
Sony

That is how I would rate them. The Sharp and Vizio winning on matte screen (however I think Vizio also has some glossy screens now as well). I would prefer Samsung over Sony for price and performance...generally.

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
Tom, Im biased to matte screen LCDs. If I were to purchase one right now, I would be looking for a Sharp matte screen (they have been moving to glossy screens of late)...but Sharp matte screens have better deeper blacks than Vizios. However Samsung and Sony make great LCDs too. Vizio as well.

Sharp
Vizio
Samsung
Sony

That is how I would rate them. The Sharp and Vizio winning on matte screen (however I think Vizio also has some glossy screens now as well). I would prefer Samsung over Sony for price and performance...generally.
Is the matte thing new? Kind of sad but I just bought a TV and couldn't even tell you if it was a Matte or glossy screen.