VOD killed the movie channels?

ajc_trw

DTVUSA Member
Verizon recently announced four movie channels were being dropped from the lineup. They are Action Max HD-West, Thriller Max HD-West, TMC Extra HD-West and TMC Xtra HD-West- effective June 21st. The East coast feeds of these channels stay put, however.

The real question is with VOD are linear movie channels really necessary? When I had HBO on DirecTV I'd rarely catch something I'd want to watch as I'd often miss it. Now I can watch a movie on my schedule. The only reason for the linear or "appointment TV" channels is for live or near live events. Things like boxing or ongoing events.

This wouldn't be an issue if HBO/Cinemax/Showtime/TMC had a couple channels each. But with each containing dozens it makes sense to ask if VOD could replace all those channels?

Also, how many subscribers are VOD exclusive? TV in the 21C! :dance:

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Verizon recently announced four movie channels were being dropped from the lineup. They are Action Max HD-West, Thriller Max HD-West, TMC Extra HD-West and TMC Xtra HD-West- effective June 21st. The East coast feeds of these channels stay put, however. The real question is with VOD are linear movie channels really necessary?
However, I don't think this change by FiOS really raises that question. These were absolutely duplicate channels. They were broadcast exactly the same thing that was broadcast on another channel, four hours earlier.

Yes616

The Mod Squad
However, I don't think this change by FiOS really raises that question. These were absolutely duplicate channels. They were broadcast exactly the same thing that was broadcast on another channel, four hours earlier.
bicker, that would be 3 hours earlier.

Personally, I never order VOD. I can wait till the movies make it to a channel I already get and I am not even talking about HBO, Cinemax or any other of those premiums that I don't shell out $13 to $15 extra per month. Well sometimes there are free preview times and I might catch them then but I just do the $10 extra for HDNet Movies, MGM, Universal and some others. Oh, I am a Dish Net customer but FiOS has a package like that don't they? The DVR is a great invention to get what you want when you want as well.