want to pick up more channels PA.

lostinPA

DTVUSA Member
was wondering if anyone has any advice on how i could pickup more channels due to the fact that
ch 6 abc never comes in anymore. Currently have antennacraft hbu-55 with Winegard LNA-200 Boost XT Digital HDTV Preamplifier. tivo with 2 minis. would combining 2 antennaes be an option 1 pointed south and 1 north? Is a channelmaster dvr have a much better tuner than tivo? thanks for the advice you guys are the best

here is my report

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=e6a49272666163

my antenna
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4wuhuA4tPc

dkreichen1968

Staff member
To get channel 6 you need an antenna designed for low VHF like a Winegard HD8200U (channel 2 is out there too and it has Me-TV, Grit, Escape, and the Justice Network).

I wish the Channel Master Jointenna(http://www.channelmaster.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CM-0500) would get back in stock so that I could find out if it makes a two antenna system work better. If it did you might be able to point a HD8200U south and the HBU-55 north. Good Luck!!!

Jim5506

DTVUSA Member
For antennas pointed in different directions the main problem is that you lose 1/2 of the signal to each antenna when it is re-radiated out the other antenna if you do not use something like a UVSJ (uhf/vhf signal joiner) to block certain frequencies from traveling the wrong way up the cable.

Channel 6 reception requires an antenna element (tip to tip across the antenna) in the area of 32-inches long whereas channel 2 requires an element of approximately 52-inches long. This is why VHF-low band antennas are so large.

Your HBU-55 is only designed to pick up channels 7-13 and 14-69.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
The standard splitter in your link will have a minimum of 3.5 dB (half the signal)of insertion loss. The Channel Master Jointenna, which is out of stock, is specified to have less than 2 dB of insertion loss. How it appears to work is that the return path resistance is 16 dB which would act as a dam to keep the signal flowing in the right direction. You can try a regular splitter, but you may need that extra 1.5 dB to make it work. Cables the same length may keep same channel signals picked up on the two antennas to stay in phase and therefore not to interfere with each other.

lostinPA

DTVUSA Member
channel #6 seems to come in now when it is raining or moist outside which is alot lately. can water be getting into the preamp or 1 of the connections which is causing channel 6 trouble when not raining.thanks

dkreichen1968

Staff member
channel #6 seems to come in now when it is raining or moist outside which is alot lately. can water be getting into the preamp or 1 of the connections which is causing channel 6 trouble when not raining.thanks
It's more likely that the cloud cover or other atmospheric conditions are strengthening the signal. It happens here in Colorado.

lostinPA

DTVUSA Member
ok have since installed the 8200 u and working great with no preamp channel 6 abc and all channels work great except channel 29 is not being picked upalt all.I think channel 29 is located at same location as most of the philly stations? does this make sense and is there anything ican do to get Channel 29 and with the preamp nothing comes in except channels 69 and 39.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
lost,

Your channel 29 is either WUVP RF-29 displaying as 65.1 on your screen - OR - WTXF RF-42 displaying on screen as channel 29: according to your antenna survey, neither station is likely to be received from your location. (sorry)

Jim

Last edited:
with the preamp nothing comes in except channels 69 and 39.
Something is wrong with the preamp. The most likely problem is no, or Inadequate voltage getting to the preamp. The other possiblity is that that the preamp is being overloaded by nearby strong TV, FM, or out of band signals.