Want to receive Roanoke, VA channel in Rainelle, WV

gridironmike

DTVUSA Jr. Member
New member here. I am a cable subscriber in Rainelle, WV. The networks I receive are WOAY (Oak Hill, ABC), WVVA (Bluefield, NBC), WDBJ (Roanoke, CBS), WCHS (Charleston, ABC), WSWP (Beckley, PBS), WSLS (Roanoke, NBC), WVNS (Beckley, CBS and FOX) and WVAH (Huntington, FOX). Often times, WDBJ's programming is blocked due to WVNS (CBS) exercising it's exclusivity. WCHS is often a simulcast of WOAY. WVAH (FOX) is blocked due to the WVNS exclusivity also.
I am a sports fan and often times I'm not satisfied with the networks I receive via cable. I was hoping to add the FOX affiliate from Roanoke, VA (WFXR) for some variety in the NFL games I can watch. I considered the purchase of antenna and contacted WFXR to see if I could get some help determining the chances of me obtaining their signal. One of the members here, FOX TV, directed me to your website for tips and assistance. He also told me about the tvfool.com website. It looks like I'm out of luck...unless somebody can tell me some tricks.
Using the map feature on tvfool.com, I went with what I considered a reasonable and standard height of 30 ft for the antenna. The results came back WSWP, WVNS, WBRA and WOAY as well as WCIR. I increased the height incrementally to an absurd 100 ft and Im still limited to the same results as far as channels go. Im here to ask the experts!! Am I out of luck?

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Go back to TVfool and post your results (@ 30 ft) back here and we'll see. The internet tells me it's about 66 miles, so it would be an edge signal, and that whole area is mountainous, so... It doesn't look very good.

Tower Guy

DTVUSA Member
I increased the height incrementally to an absurd 100 ft.
It's not that absurd. I have an antenna at 125'. I put it up in 2003, before TVfool was available to tell that it wouldn't make much difference.

Anyway, I'd like to see your TVfool report. In some mountainous areas reception is possible due to bounces from directions that TVfool does not consider.

MrPogi

Staff member
It's not that absurd. I have an antenna at 125'. I put it up in 2003, before TVfool was available to tell that it wouldn't make much difference.

Anyway, I'd like to see your TVfool report. In some mountainous areas reception is possible due to bounces from directions that TVfool does not consider.
Same here... I think the only way to know for sure is to try. I would suggest he find a local source for an antenna so he can return it if it doesn't work out.

BTW, I did a generic TVfool report for Rainelle, WV and it doesn't look promising. But we all know TVfool can be fooled.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
You're very unlikely to receive WFXR, due to its directional pattern aiming away from you. The only Roanoke station of interest that you may be able to receive is WDBJ since it's not directional at all.

I found a mountain peak near Rainelle and even at the very top of the mountain, WFXR is way down in strength, and WSLS is even lower.

That's not to say all hope is lost, as TVFool cannot take into account odd reflections that could help you out, but it's not the most promising picture in the world. We'll need to see your actual plot, as others have already stated.

- Trip

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
When you produce a TVFool Radar Plot, you will find a bolded link near the top. That is what we need.

- Trip

n2rj

Staff member
-36dB NM, looks like a snowball chance in hell unless you have high towers and stacks and stacks of antennas, and even then, maybe.

I think your only hope for Fox is satellite.

MrPogi

Staff member
I think maybe Jim would be able to help us out here.

On the plus side, he's only seeking ONE channel, RF17. A hi-gain, home made, cut - to - channel Yagi may do the trick here.

On the negative, His signal strength on that channel is pretty low. Anybody here pulling in a signal that low?

gridironmike

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I was afraid of that. Thats a shame too. The little bit of poking around I did on this site intrigued me. DVR for OTA! Right up my alley. I'd still like to compare the picture quality of WVNS via cable and antenna.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
As I've said before I get KRMA RF18 which is suppose to be -16.9 without even trying and had a flash (even with co-channel interference) of KPJR RF38 which is suppose to be -30.7, but I think that's just because my tvfool isn't all that accurate. He can certainly try for it, but we can't guarantee anything.

n2rj

Staff member
On my TVFool Chart I get WASA-LP which is -111.9 db signal strength, but few of the other weak ones above it. Weird eh?

But looking at the terrain and the antenna pattern, this is going to be monumentally difficult. I wouldn't say impossible because miracles do happen...

MrPogi

Staff member
Gridironmike,
have you checked to see what fox station Dish and DirecTV will give you?

If they give you a different channel, you may be able to cut your cable back to "BASIC" (local only) for about $10-$20 a month, and carry the rest of your stations on satellite.

Just looking for other options for you. Stick around.

scandiskwindows9x

Moderator of DTV Latino
maybe need a multidirectional antenna and some amplifier of signal or perhaps the wiring from the antenna might be with quad shield instead of the traditional just 1 shielding the coaxial cable also can check this site for know the power of the transmitter applicated and that can help to determine the eventual case of weak signals

here is a website that found that gives technical info that can be valuable

The Digital TV Transition: Reception Maps

best regards
Francisco

MrPogi

Staff member
maybe need a multidirectional antenna and some amplifier of signal or perhaps the wiring from the antenna might be with quad shield instead of the traditional just 1 shielding the coaxial cable also can check this site for know the power of the transmitter applicated and that can help to determine the eventual case of weak signals

here is a website that found that gives technical info that can be valuable

The Digital TV Transition: Reception Maps

best regards
Francisco
Yea, this map is useless... it lists ONE channel (12) for me, and that one is not even broadcasting. All my stations are translators or LP stations.
If the FCC had an engineer working for them, maybe this map would work?