Question: Wanting to cut the cable

WorsT

DTVUSA Rookie
I want to cut the cable. I was wondering what type of antenna setup I would need so I could at least get all the network television stations.

TVFool

Input is appreciated.

WorsT

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Well, the local Tampa stations are at 293 degrees magnetic (west north-west), and are of moderate strength. You have both high VHF stations and UHF stations, so you need a combo antenna. I'd say a Channel Master CM-2018 or an AntennaCraft HBU22 or 33 (if mounted in the attic). Orlando stations could be picked up with a strongish antenna pointed toward 29 degrees magnetic.

Actually, I'd start out with a basic indoor antenna like a RCA ANT-111 pointed out a west facing window to get a base line for what you can receive (real world data), and then use those results to pick what type of antenna to get.

Do you have a digital TV or converter box?

Last edited:

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I know that Trip has a HDHomerun, so maybe he can comment. I do know it has an excellent signal strength and quality meter. If you would happen to have a Big Lots in the neighborhood you could pick up one of their combo antennas (loop + rabbit ears) for $3 and run a test (or pay more at Walgrens, Walmart, or Radioshack) ;). That is if you have a west facing window.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
My name was invoked, and therefore, I shall comment.

First of all, you're going to have trouble with CBS (WTSP-10). Do not exert any additional effort to receive it. If you receive WFLA, WTVT, and WEDU, you should be in good shape. WTSP has a permit to relocate to the same tower in Boyette Creek as several of the other Tampa broadcasters, and from what I've heard, it is supposed to be completed sooner rather than later. So any effort spent to pull it in from the current transmitter site in Holiday would be wasted.

Second, I do enjoy my HDHR. It has an excellent signal meter that makes antenna aiming a lot easier than most meters do--it corresponds exactly to the numbers I get from my spectrum analyzer. If you're looking to use your computers to record OTA video, the HDHomeRun is definitely a good way of doing it. It also works great with TSReader, but that's something only nutjobs like me care about. :)

- Trip

flcs3

DTVUSA Member
I want to cut the cable. I was wondering what type of antenna setup I would need so I could at least get all the network television stations.

TVFool
Be aware that the Tampa Bay area CBS affiliate, WTSP (10, 10.1), soon will be relocating its transmitter from the Holiday area to the big antenna farm in the Boyette/Riverview area.
WTSP moving transmitter - Tampa | Orlando | Bright House | FiOS| HDTV | Forums

So, you should be able to get a CBS station with a single VHF-hi/UHF combo pointed in a fixed direction. The Winegard HD7694 and siblings would be another good choice.

Apparently, Trip was faster to reply than I!

Cheers

Last edited:

dave73

DTVUSA Member
If I were going with a Winegard antenna, I'd go with at least the HD7695P antenna. It has a slightly larger VHF-Hi section, along with a much longer UHF part of the antenna. The HD7694P antenna is best for those who are that close to the antennas. If the OP is interested in the stations that are in yellow, then it's wise to go with at least the HD7695P