• Unsure

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I like hot chili peppers

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters

O-O

DTVUSA Member
Don't know about that one
Are you basing your opinion strictly off of your problems with getting your converter to work with your TV. :p

Other than one of my stations jumping today which was fixed with a rescan, it went pretty well for me. As for the overall success? I think we'll know better tomorrow.

Last edited:

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
I haven't seen too many news stories or FCC statistics yet on phone calls flooding their help lines. What do you think?
That's because many stations here have switched the analog stations into PSA mode, with an endless 30-minute infomercial about setting the converter box up, and re-scanning the channels list.

A few stations have spotty reception: KABC

No reception: KCAL, KTTV, KCOP

There's a few analog stations, but they are low-power (Channel 25, 27, 45, 57 to name a few)

There's kinks to be worked out, still.

Last edited:

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Overall, it's too early to tell, but I voted no just on principle because so many of us are just stuck in the mud with no help to get decent reception. If there was really help, it might be different.

TonyT

DTVUSA Member
I haven't voted yet, but I think it's a wash of success and failure. I think a lot of tv stations and the FCC under estimated the amount of problems people were going to have with reception. The need to have both a UHF and VHF antenna for most areas is a big pain in the rear for those with outdoor UHF only antennas. How many people are going to actually want to climb up o their roof tops and figure out how to either remove their old antenna or add a second VHF antenna? This next month or so will be interesting to see how everything plays out.

Only a band change on one channel to VHF requiring me to re-aim my antenna. that's it. same as before. maybe 10-20% more signal but that may just be from me re-aiming it and fixing the rotator. so i can't say the transition did that.

I expected to get some more new channels, may be 2-5 more, but no. even sub-channel 9.3 still shows 'Under Construction'. business as usual and i hate to say i am a tad disappointed.

The site here got more traffic so it's not boring in the least, at least that's a plus.

Just for kicks i checked the old analogs. 44 (CBS WEVV) showed a nightlight PSA running in English and alternated between that and Spanish. it was a lot like the 'Dish FYI" channel on Dish Network. shows what you get and how to get it and blah blah blah.

Analog Channel 7 (FOX WTVW) is the same, same programming as digital, was showing Scrubs and other shows just fuzzier.

Analog Channel 25 (ABC) regular programming.

Analog Channel 14 (WFIE NBC) gone. 9 (PBS) gone. 31 (KET) gone. that's the only ones who switched entirely.

RTN 25.2 changed from UHF channel 58 to VHF High channel 7. still maps to ABC 25.1 and RTV (they changed the branding but it's the same channel) 25.2

Last edited:

jerry65

DTVUSA Rookie
DTV is a dumbass!

Just because FCC or the Gov't has not tested with antenna before it switch to dtv and the antenna signal was too weak. And why they sells too much for dtv conventor box and low income can't afford, why can't they sells for only 10 dollars without coupons so the low income people can afford and don't have to apply.
I think Gov't and FCC is a dumbass!
I liked it the way it was before I got DTV and went sour because not enough recived the signals.

Well, I voted before the real June 13 transition happened. Fixing the azimuth got only 1 of the lost stations back. Others are there but reception isn't optimal.

The FCC and NAB should have put out a program that issued special warnings on the stations that were on UHF, but were moving back to VHF for consumers to check their VHF reception capability, as the station will be moving into that dangerous territory. Special alerts like that could have avoided some of the mess we're now facing, as many got UHF only DTV antennas.

Yes616

The Mod Squad
There should have been a requirement that if you were on VHF, the digital signal should have gone right back to where you were on VHF at the transition. Likewise on UHF. The flip-flopping of real channels is what is driving everyone crazy!

I have to add this exception. There are technical issues with digital lo-VHF channels so they should just move to hi-VHF or UHF only if there is no more room around your DMA.

Is this a crazy thought?

IMO.. The cable companies paid the stations off to drive everyone crazy so they would subscribe to them.

Nowhere did any channel say to you that all you might need to do is a get different antenna after June 12th along with the new box. All they said to you is that you would need a digital tuner. That's all. You bought the box and had your current antenna in place but the channel switched bands just to throw you off the track. Now you have been caught in that trap set by both the cable and satellite networks. Hook, line and sinker to get anything.

The FCC along with all of the networks and local channels are all in cahoots on this.

Last edited:
I should mention our own Fox affiliate did run a PSA saying they were moving from VHF to UHF and the real channel 28.1 (virtual 7.1) and one may need an upgraded UHF/VHF combo antenna. so it wasn't like all channels left that information out.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
There should have been a requirement that if you were on VHF, the digital signal should have gone right back to where you were on VHF at the transition. Likewise on UHF. The flip-flopping of real channels is what is driving everyone crazy!

I have to add this exception. There are technical issues with digital lo-VHF channels so they should just move to hi-VHF or UHF only if there is no more room around your DMA.

Is this a crazy thought?

IMO.. The cable companies paid the stations off to drive everyone crazy so they would subscribe to them.

Nowhere did any channel say to you that all you might need to do is a get different antenna after June 12th along with the new box. All they said to you is that you would need a digital tuner. That's all. You bought the box and had your current antenna in place but the channel switched bands just to throw you off the track. Now you have been caught in that trap set by both the cable and satellite networks. Hook, line and sinker to get anything.

The FCC along with all of the networks and local channels are all in cahoots on this.
Agreed. I liked how the FCC waited about a week prior to the digital transition to release the "double rescan" info along with a bunch of other overlooked problems like under estimating power output for VHF stations too. blah, I could go on.

spokybob

DTVUSA Member
WHBF waited until May 28 to announce that those nice UHF antennas we bought were not going to work after June 12. How nice of them to locate away from the antenna farm AND require a large rooftop antenna.
The dozens of folks I helped were using rabbit ears with analog. I made those YouTube indoor antennas which were working fine. Now, even switching back to rabbit ears will not pick up the digital signal on RF4. Even so, those folks are happy they only lost one station.
..In an email, WHBF management stated I had done those folks a dis-service by building an antenna that will not receive his station.
(The #1 network) LOL

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
WHBF waited until May 28 to announce that those nice UHF antennas we bought were not going to work after June 12. How nice of them to locate away from the antenna farm AND require a large rooftop antenna.
The dozens of folks I helped were using rabbit ears with analog. I made those YouTube indoor antennas which were working fine. Now, even switching back to rabbit ears will not pick up the digital signal on RF4. Even so, those folks are happy they only lost one station.
..In an email, WHBF management stated I had done those folks a dis-service by building an antenna that will not receive his station.
(The #1 network) LOL
Informing the viewer, to get ready for the DTV transition. Telling them to do it sooner than later. Then waiting until May 28, 2009 before informing them of the need for a different antenna. I hope advertisers are getting a ripping deal on advertising space with WHBF. I've wondered, at what point the many broadcast stations, knew which way they were going after June 12, 2009. Were some of them flying by the seat of their pants, just waiting for funding approval? It seems like there were numerous stories of this broadcast station buying back VHF rights and that broadcast station acquiring other VHF rights.

Piggie

Super Moderator
(The #1 network) LOL
Hey Bob, welcome to the forum. Sounds like a letter we received from a local station running 4.9 KW on a very directional antenna so the city of license only get 2 to 3 KW at 12 miles! They said the FCC would not let them raise power (they never applied) and were told this is enough power to cover their contour, of which I know the engineer and he knows it's not enough. So it's all cheap paint on a problem.

I would have emailed him back and said it was even more of a dis-service to wait a couple weeks before flash cutting to tell your viewers they need to buy an antenna (when I bet the application is years old).

Are you the same Spokybob from AVS?