Was there a digital transition on June 19th that I didn't know about?

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
Well, there were "forced upgrades" before - analog cell phones were dumped for digital ones.

Another "forced upgrade" happened when Windows XP took favor over Windows 98.

There is a slow XP SP3+ "forced upgrade" going on, more and more online-linking games and applications demand the security layers that's in there - I'm one of the holdouts, I can't stand an OS blocking me from tinkering with my own computer. (I'm one of those who fool around in the Windows folders - SP2+ prohibits that by adding layers of complicated action/behavior permit settings)

I just hope there isn't such a "forced upgrade" when it comes to the Internet. Well, if that were to happen, then we'd call this country China...

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
The DTV transition was only for high power stations in the USA.

Some low power stations are still permitted to operate on Analog VHF televison.

Canada is not scheduled to do the change over for two more years.

ATSC standards is mostly used in the Northern Hemisphere of North America.

ATSC (standards) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Other countries and continents use other standards which are not interchangeable.
Oh, I know, sorry, was kind of joking because the article references June 19th, 2009 as the transition date instead of June 12th, 2009 which was the actual date for full power broadcasters.

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
Oh, I know, sorry, was kind of joking because the article references June 19th, 2009 as the transition date instead of June 12th, 2009 which was the actual date for full power broadcasters.
You should try watching the "nightlight DTV PSA show," I mean really watch it closely. In the first minute it mentions September 8, 2008 on an actress' TV screen. Was this the original transition date?

It also shows an Insignia converter box screen with snow in the background. Converter boxes don't put out snow with a clear menu screen.

I'm gonna record this silly thing, and see what other errors there are in this rush-order production of a PSA.

See if there are any non-intentional or accidental spanish slips on the spanish translated version of them. at one time a maker of fine laptop bags and suitcases, Tom Bihn had a message in French on the label for the Washing/care instructions, which translated to English as:

We're sorry our President is an idiot, we did not vote for him

I wonder how many other translation mishaps could befall people, i wish i could translate so i could find out haha!

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
September 8, 2008 was the date that Wilmington, NC went digital as part of the FCC's "DTV test."

- Trip

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
September 8, 2008 was the date that Wilmington, NC went digital as part of the FCC's "DTV test."

- Trip
Oh, thanks. Good for pointing that out for me.

Yeah, these slips are in the Spanish section of the 15-minute program. I recorded 35 minutes of it. I'll finalize the disc, copy over the VOB files. I'll see what I can do for posting it and the annotation "subtitles," including yours, Trip

The snowy picture on the screen is from an LG television set. That will be ignored. I'll focus on what the shows are on the channel scans. I recognize "Dooley and Pals" on one of the channels in the Spanish section, Drew Carey leading a contestant "The Price is Right" on the English section, with a reflection of something else as the TV scans for channels. Stock footage videos

Oh, does anyone want the animated callsign video of KWHY-22? It has a Mexican mariachi accompaniment as the spokes pump and spin around the number 22.