Watch House of Cards - But Not on Netflix?

tmcmeekin

DTVUSA Member
It seems as though House of Cards is not really exclusive to Netflix anymore. Although the show was on Netflix first, it is available on DVD ... and will soon be available on Comcast as well.

I think it's pretty dumb that Netflix allowed this to happen. Yes, they would have had to pay more up front to keep all the rights. Yes, most of the fanatics already binge-watched the entire show in the first couple days the new season was available. But not having the show as a true exclusive dilutes their brand, and it makes one less thing potential new subscribers (and potential cord-cutters) would have as a reason to join Netflix. They're really missing out on the "long tail" benefits of a TV show (which is when people discover a show long after it originally aired, and is one of the biggest revenue sources for a show).

Lily13

DTVUSA Member
Well, for us viewers it's good, more people will have the chance to watch it. I don't know if it's a good decision from Netflix but they did keep it an exclusive for a long time, maybe it's not so bad after all. Maybe people will be drawn to their services having seen their creation somewhere else

Funafuti

DTVUSA Member
I think in their mind having the first season available to a wider audience was likely to draw in more subscribers once the second season began as an exclusive. This makes a lot of sense to me, the idea of reaching people who hadn't already bought into their service in order to lure them in for the next round.

Yeah I definitely think that this is more of a ploy to get more people to watch Netflix by letting them have a legal way to see it. There are probably thousands of people who watch it illegally online, but it's not the same effect of bingewatching the entire season in two days.

tmcmeekin

DTVUSA Member
I can see what you're saying about gaining new viewers, but I think that it's still not a good decision for them. Netflix already has free trials, and considering you can easily watch the entire series in a month and then cancel if you choose, $8 is not a big investment. If anything, they should put the first couple episodes of House of Cards (and their other exclusive series) up on their site/apps so anyone can view them without subscribing and logging in. Just my two cents'.

That's a good point about the free trials / $8 a month thing, but people are fickle creatures who don't like commitment or remembering to unsubscribe to things unless they're really on top of things. Anyway, I don't know anyone who talked about House of Cards and didn't have Netflix. If I didn't have Netflix, I don't think I'd care enough to try :|

Cadus

DTVUSA Member
That's a good point about the free trials / $8 a month thing, but people are fickle creatures who don't like commitment or remembering to unsubscribe to things unless they're really on top of things. Anyway, I don't know anyone who talked about House of Cards and didn't have Netflix. If I didn't have Netflix, I don't think I'd care enough to try :|
Yeah, that $8 is probably a lot cheaper than the buy the seasons on dvd. It'll probably be $20 a season, so to catch up would be the equivalent of having 5 months of Netflix + free trials. Netflix is still definitely the more valid option: House of Cards + everything else on Netflix.

And if you can even watch the first couple episodes of House of Cards and not blow through the rest of the two seasons within the same month, then I'm impressed.

I can see what you're saying about gaining new viewers, but I think that it's still not a good decision for them. Netflix already has free trials, and considering you can easily watch the entire series in a month and then cancel if you choose, $8 is not a big investment. If anything, they should put the first couple episodes of House of Cards (and their other exclusive series) up on their site/apps so anyone can view them without subscribing and logging in. Just my two cents'.
Well, it begs the question of the economics of syndication I rekon...I'm not super smart on the topic, but I would think there must be a business ROI point for an old season of a show that makes it worthwhile to syndicate for showing on other content platforms (ie DVD, Comcast, etc for old seasons). Just my 2 cents, but I'm sure they had a 42 pound head or two nuke it out :) Or at least I would have paid to have it done if my company was worth that much dinero!!!

James

DTVUSA Member
Wondering if the novelty of saying...Netflix..or Amazon..or whatever, has exclusive programs is fading...so it is time to move the existing programs out into the more passive viewing arena. And to make $ to fund more programing.

I'm not suggesting or hoping that Netflix will stop producing their own material or that quality will suffer in an attempt to churn out "exclusive" programs. It would be terrible if it went that route. Just produce crap and say it is "only available on...". That would turn me off. I did try to watch that Amazon exclusive show...some kind of comedy..political. Bunch of middle-aged politicians living dorm-like. I could only take about 15 minutes of it. I thought it was a weak attempt at humor, political humor, and drama. After watching House Of Cards I expected something of that level in complexity...but it was...IMO...adult fart humor with a political bent.

tmcmeekin

DTVUSA Member
I completely agree that remembering to cancel before a trial is over is a pain in the neck, and it does keep me from doing free trials of some things.

But your other point, that most people who wanted to see it have Netflix, reinforces my point (to some degree). Do you think that posting it elsewhere is going to make it that much easier? It still requires effort to find and enough interest to start watching.

tmcmeekin

DTVUSA Member
And if you can even watch the first couple episodes of House of Cards and not blow through the rest of the two seasons within the same month, then I'm impressed.
I watched the first episode sometime last year, and managed not to watch any more of the show yet. Impressed? haha

I just couldn't get into House of Cards, because it felt like the first episode was just an exercise for a film studies class, and I was either bored or annoyed with most of the episode.

However, I did definitely binge-watch all of Orange is the New Black, Hemlock Grove, and Arrested Development in the month each was released.

tmcmeekin

DTVUSA Member
Well, it begs the question of the economics of syndication I rekon...I'm not super smart on the topic, but I would think there must be a business ROI point for an old season of a show that makes it worthwhile to syndicate for showing on other content platforms (ie DVD, Comcast, etc for old seasons). Just my 2 cents, but I'm sure they had a 42 pound head or two nuke it out :) Or at least I would have paid to have it done if my company was worth that much dinero!!!
I'm not convinced that anyone in the entertainment industry is that good at business. Netflix execs have made stupid decisions before (remember Qwikster or whatever it was called?) And frankly, I have studied and worked in mass media for half my life, and watched so much TV, that I have more confidence in my own opinions than the execs.