Watching and Recording at the same time

MaggieB

DTVUSA Rookie
I want to be able to record one channel while watching another one on the same tv. I just got the converter and do not have an anteena. At Comcast, they keep pushing a DVR. I don't really want to this added expense. Someone did suggest a vcr with a digital tuner. Will this work, if not what can I do to be able to do this? I have read multiple things from another converter (which comcast said will not work) to two vcrs. What can I do to watch one channel and record another at the same time?

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I want to be able to record one channel while watching another one on the same tv. I just got the converter and do not have an anteena. At Comcast, they keep pushing a DVR. I don't really want to this added expense. Someone did suggest a vcr with a digital tuner. Will this work, if not what can I do to be able to do this? I have read multiple things from another converter (which comcast said will not work) to two vcrs. What can I do to watch one channel and record another at the same time?
A new VCR with the ATSC tuner would also be an added expense and I'm not sure it would be compatible with Comcast. I don't believe it is. If it were me I would opt for the DVR. The CECB is not compatible with cable. Is the Comcast DVR only a small fee?

Piggie

Super Moderator
Have you seen any VCRs with ATSC tuners?

Never mind, once I used our friend Google they popped up everywhere. They seem a little pricy for old of technology

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Just as an fyi -- I believe Comcast probably charges the same rates around the country, or maybe not, but here it's $10 for a DVR per month; $10 if you want HD.

SuzanaD

DTVUSA Member
I use the DVR with verizon. I am able to record something while I watch another show and it works great. You just schedule the recordings ahead of time and it even records overnight.

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
Have you seen any VCRs with ATSC tuners?

Never mind, once I used our friend Google they popped up everywhere. They seem a little pricy for old of technology
The Panasonic DMR-EZ48 is a VCR/DVD recorder. There's a big problem with it.

ATSC shows cannot be recorded onto VHS tapes on that recorder. Only on DVDs. My mother is pretty cross about that.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Just as an fyi -- I believe Comcast probably charges the same rates around the country, or maybe not, but here it's $10 for a DVR per month; $10 if you want HD.
Here, the SD DVR, when it was available, was about $9 per month, while the HD DVR was about $13 per month. The SD DVR is gone, I believe, and the HD DVR is $14 per month. That's for the first DVR, though. If you want another DVR (or any additional digital device, even just another STB), you have to pay a mirroring fee of $5 per month, so a second HD DVR would cost about $19 extra per month.

SuzanaD

DTVUSA Member
I have to say I really like the Dvr. I used to record all my shows, and with Verizon as well. With Verizon I was able to watch while I record too. I think it is alot better that way.