Watching ER is bad for your health!

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Watching hospital and health TV shows like ER can increase fears that we will develope diseases or need some kind of treatment according to researchers who presented evidence at a British Psychological Society's conference.

Researchers followed participants for over three years, and results showed that those who watched the most medical tv shows were the most afraid of becoming ill.

So the next time you sit down and watch ER, just remember...it might not be good for your health. :D :p :cool:

Source: Television medical shows like ER 'increase our fear of illness' - Telegraph

illytodd

DTVUSA Member
Interesting and actually it made me giggle a bit. I guess hypochondria can set in and stress you out enough to make you sick. I never really thought about shows like that having an innate affect on people.

acwriter

DTVUSA Member
It does make you think, though. Sometimes, I can come up with a correct diagnosis of what my kids might have before we even get to the doctor's office. I actually knew that my son was drinking way too much water because of a show I saw on Doc, about a girl who drank too much water and it induced a medical condition. They ran a couple of tests and sure enough, his electrolytes were out of whack. With my ballerina daughter, I knew she had nerve damaged in her foot, because of an episode I saw on Doc about a gymnasts who had a similar condition. I know this thread is supposed to be about ER in general, but you did mention other medical shows.

Watching hospital and health TV shows like ER can increase fears that we will develope diseases or need some kind of treatment according to researchers who presented evidence at a British Psychological Society's conference.

Researchers followed participants for over three years, and results showed that those who watched the most medical tv shows were the most afraid of becoming ill.

So the next time you sit down and watch ER, just remember...it might not be good for your health. :D :p :cool:

Source: Television medical shows like ER 'increase our fear of illness' - Telegraph
lol, watching ER isn't that bad for my health, it's the chocolage bon bon's that I'm washing down with an a cokacola. :)

Ahem I think it was that whole bag of chocolates that I had left over from Halloween from the trick or treaters that did not show up at my door step. I just had to eat them after I watched Abby and Luka leave!

TonyT

DTVUSA Member
It's all mind over matter with this kind of stuff, but for me, I guess it doesn't help to watch a medical show if you're a hypochondriac anyway. I'm pretty bad when it comes to self diagnosis, I could have a small cough and a fever, and automatically I'll start thinking I have something exotic. I can't even watch show's like House. LOL

It's all mind over matter with this kind of stuff, but for me, I guess it doesn't help to watch a medical show if you're a hypochondriac anyway. I'm pretty bad when it comes to self diagnosis, I could have a small cough and a fever, and automatically I'll start thinking I have something exotic. I can't even watch show's like House. LOL
So do you watch House or not? ;)

kat77

DTVUSA Member
I like ER from time to time and dont see how it can bad for your health unless you dont like dramatic scene....now watch Grey Atanomy and House it way better then ER.