Wealth TV

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Last night I tried out the "Wealth TV" "free view" channel on the Roku. What it showed me was an excellent "proof of concept" for internet delivered a la carte video programming. The picture quality was superb streamed using my 6 Mbps DSL line and wireless "n" network. On the other hand, "Wealth TV" is everything that is wrong with current cable programming. Fake "reality" at it's absolute worst. While "Wealth TV" can't expect me to pay for their programming, it shows me that if "Discovery" and "ESPN" were to jump ship from the traditional packaged cable model that traditional cable would collapse like a house of cards. There is only one way to force that to happen, and that is for people to ditch their current cable package. If enough people do it, the programers will be forced to unbundle their programming, and the world will be a much better place. :)

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
You never know what the future will entail, but I think that kind of move is a long way off. I watch a lot of Discovery so would definitely miss it. I could care less about ESPN except that I need it for NASCAR.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Dan, you know there's over 600 Roku channels? Yea a lot of them are not much more than spam, and some require you to subscribe, and still others want you to subscribe AND pay, and a few more are a one-time fee. But most are free.

Here's the best list out there - at Internet TV Forums. Not pretty, but very useful, functional, complete, and up to date:

645 Roku Channels!

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Can't wait for my Roku. :)

So is there actually a program schedule for some of these channels? Someone needs to make a TVGuide for Roku lol.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Can't wait for my Roku. :)

So is there actually a program schedule for some of these channels? Someone needs to make a TVGuide for Roku lol.
There is no schedule, except that some of the "live streams" (Al Jazeera, BYUtv, The Country Network, etc) have the same schedule as the broadcast / pay TV versions, so you can use TitanTV to add them to your channel lineup.

Most of the content on Roku is "on-demand" so no schedule is needed.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
... and having those kind of things, a schedule, needs to happen before ROKU or any similar thing will take over, so to speak. I don't have time to check out 645 channels. I need a schedule.