Website Time Wasters

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I hate wasting my time and one of the things that Comcast often does on their home page causes me frustration. They'll have a headline about whatever for you to click on. Yet, when you click on it, you're taken to another sub-home page where you have to find the story you want and click on it yet again. I detest that. Why can't they just have the direct link? It's one of the reasons I often avoid utilizing their news on the home page.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Most websites justify the money spent on operating them based on advertising revenues, so the design of such websites will be driven by the manner in which advertisers choose to value placement of their advertising and the typical consumer-slash-website-visitor browsing behavior.

One of the best websites I've seen regarding the efficiency of delivery of the information I'm looking for is variety.com. Guess what!? They're going to a pay-for-use system. They'll have no advertiser-supported-only content any longer.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
In some cases you can get subsets of news from discussion forums. For example, here:
DTV News and Articles - DTV USA Forum
However, generally, that's aimed at a very limited set of news (in this case, DTV), and in some cases only presents highlights -- for full information you'd have to link through to the source, where the more comprehensively advertising-driven model could still prevail.

Furthermore, generally where I've seen such forums providing highlights of more general news (politics, religion, etc.), the selection of articles presented on such forums is often biased. You're at the very least adding a layer of additional editing, making it less likely that you're going to get both sides of the issues.

takatenamano

DTVUSA Jr. Member
They do not give the direct link most of the time so that more advertisement can be seen by the one visiting their site. It does not diminish their visitor so its okay for them to continue doing so.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Actually, Variety's website used to be passworded until '06 I think it was. You could get just the first paragraph or so of a story but then had to be a subscriber to get the whole thing. They are just going back to what they used to have and it's probably a smart move and because they are focused on a specific industry, I doubt it hurts them too much.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
And we seen similar setups put in place by the New York Times, as well, as well as others. The inability for banner ads to provide sufficient profit motive is very clear.