Well this was disappointing

Well this was disappointing - NOT ANYMORE!!

Received my antenna craft HBU33 today and couldn't wait to get it out of the box, assembled and hooked up for a quick demo. After all that, it picked up the same five channels that I picked up using my homemade coat hanger antenna that I built after watching a YouTube video. Granted the HBU33 was in my bedroom in a one story house, but I really would have expected picking up at least a FEW more channels. Over the next week I'll be doing the official install and I'm hopeful I'll have much better results.

Last edited:
Here is my TVfool report:

TV Fool

Mounted the antenna this afternoon and it's probably 20 - 25' up. I'm going to measure tomorrow but will probably look for a longer pole. I hooked it up and connected to the directTV line that goes straight to the bedroom (dish is just under new antenna on inside of chimney) and my only tv with a digital tuner, but then realized that uverse cut the cable, so now I have to get up there and see what needs to be replaced. Hopefully will be up and running tomorrow and will report results. The HBU33 was certainly easy to assemble but whatever they coat it with sure does turn your hands black!

I do need to get back up on the roof and check the angle to make I'm pointing as close to 288 as possible.

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Capt Steve,

If at all possible, try to distance the antenna away from your dish by at least three feet. That's the minimal spacing of recommended antenna seperation @ channel 35's frequency to avoid interacton between antennas. More seperation is required (in theory) for lower channels.

Jim

Jim,

The dish is no longer active but are you saying it's mere prescense could cause a problem? I imagine it's still reflecting signals to the LNB but never thought it would be a problem. The antenna is probably five feet above the dish anyways, but interesting that it could cause an issue! Thanks!!!

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Capt Steve,

Any potential RF signal reflector can be a problem, especially if it is close to an antenna. That included metal chimney pipes, aluminum gutters, metal roofs (yikes) etc. If your dish is no longer in use it would be advised to remove it 'just in case' it compromises your free OTA reception. It would be considered an 'unpredictable signal reflector'.

Jim

Last edited:

SWHouston

Staff member
I see from your report, that everything you can get is UHF...
and, I'd think you should get about 7 or so channels.
I'd put it up and get things running, and see how the quality of your reception is.
You may be able to use a PreAmp.

I see from your report, that everything you can get is UHF...
and, I'd think you should get about 7 or so channels.
I'd put it up and get things running, and see how the quality of your reception is.
You may be able to use a PreAmp.
Seven channels? I'm hoping for many more then that, especially Fox.

http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-hdtv...-first-post-looking-suggestions-comments.html

Jim - I'll remove the dish today. I do have a metal cap on the chimney, since my chimney has vynl siding. Could I put some type of anti reflective coating? Maybe a cheap truck bed liner coating?

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Remove the dish, but leave the J pipe its mounted on. It's bolted into your roof, and removing it will require you to patch the roof. Just four nuts need to be loosened to remove the dish.

Removed the old directTV dish, dropped a new line into the bedroom and WOW!!! I have abc, CBS, NBC, and FOX, plus a bunch of "other" channels. Watching Daytona 500 Pre-race in HD, but only 720 but it's much clearer then uverse. (don't get any wrong ideas, Daytona is only race I watch :) ).

I even renamed the input on the TV to "FREE TV!". The wife is impressed but asked about her E!tv and OWN, so will have to figure that one out. I have more questions about setting up my full system. Plan on Roku 2 XS in main room and maybe just a XD in the bedroom. The USB port seems like a good way to go for watching movies. I posted in another thread that my Sony tv is hd ready (analog 1080), so I need a converter, but trying to figure out best way with the box.

Thanks to all who answered my basic questions until I got this figured out. Great forum here and glad I found it!

dkreichen1968

Staff member
The national feed for FOX and ABC is 720p. The national feed for PBS, CBS, NBC, and CW is 1080i. Some stations convert to 720p. I'm not sure about MyNetwork, I believe KTVD is 1080i, but since MyNetwork is a FOX network I'd think the original feed would be 720p.

dumbfounded

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Removed the old directTV dish, dropped a new line into the bedroom and WOW!!! I have abc, CBS, NBC, and FOX, plus a bunch of "other" channels. Watching Daytona 500 Pre-race in HD, but only 720 but it's much clearer then uverse. (don't get any wrong ideas, Daytona is only race I watch :) ).

I even renamed the input on the TV to "FREE TV!". The wife is impressed but asked about her E!tv and OWN, so will have to figure that one out. I have more questions about setting up my full system. Plan on Roku 2 XS in main room and maybe just a XD in the bedroom. The USB port seems like a good way to go for watching movies. I posted in another thread that my Sony tv is hd ready (analog 1080), so I need a converter, but trying to figure out best way with the box.

Thanks to all who answered my basic questions until I got this figured out. Great forum here and glad I found it!
Steve,
I have a relative that has the Roku and is very happy with it but it looks like it's mostly focused on pay subscription based streaming.

I have a dedicated PC connected to my TV and I enjoy free movies from Hulu and other streaming content including rental movies from Amazon. You can go the the sites your wife likes and they have their shows available for streaming after it has aired on TV.

Mind you all this streaming stuff is probably not the same quality as you would get on your TV. If you have a good download speed like a cable modem you might get a lot better quality than any of the stuff I've seen. I'm limited to a meager 1.5mb down on DSL so most of mine runs at 360P to 480P.