What are Decimal Channels?

U

Unregistered

I just recently switched over to a antenna and I've noticed that a lot of channels have a decimal point next to them. Like 10.1, 10.2, 10.3. What does the decimal mean?

Jim5506

DTVUSA Member
With digital encoding a normal TV channel does not always occupy the full 6 mhz bandwidth that the old analog channel did, so stations can add sub-channels.

The main digital channel is usually called the .1 channel as in 10.1. Sub-channels go up from there 10.2, 10.3 and so on.

With digital TV a station can multiplex as many subchannels into it's signal as picture quality will allow - I have heard of one channel with 9 sub-channels!

With modern encoding and compression, it is now possible to even have 2 or 3 watchable HD channels on one RF frequency.

With digital encoding a normal TV channel does not always occupy the full 6 mhz bandwidth that the old analog channel did, so stations can add sub-channels.

The main digital channel is usually called the .1 channel as in 10.1. Sub-channels go up from there 10.2, 10.3 and so on.

With digital TV a station can multiplex as many subchannels into it's signal as picture quality will allow - I have heard of one channel with 9 sub-channels!

With modern encoding and compression, it is now possible to even have 2 or 3 watchable HD channels on one RF frequency.
Well said.

The "decimal channels" are just one of the many benefits that digital television offers. It's also the reason why many of us are able to get 20+ channels on our antennas.