What are your plans for the digital transition?

What are your plans for the digital transition?

• Buy a converter box and connect it to my old TV.

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Get cable or satellite television service.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy a new TV with a digital tuner.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I don't know yet.

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I'm curious as to how many people are actually buying new TVs or upgrading to cable or satellite because of the digital transition instead of buying a converter box. If you take the poll, give an explanation why you chose your answer. ;)

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Ahh good one! Bought a couple of converter boxes for the Digital Transition. Had cable up until 2 years ago, been OTA since. We get to watch TV 2-3 hours a week, so spending $40-$100 a month on cable or satellite services just doesn't make sense for us.

We also had to upgrade our antenna in the family room, so total out of pocket expense for the transition is $135.00- $80 DTV Coupons = $55.00

Thomas G

Contributor
I don't see an option for continuing to subscribe to satellite service, but I may be planning to buy an OTA HD box in the next month or two and cancel DirecTV. :)

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
Cable or satellite will not get you all the DTV channels...

Only the primary channels carry the "must carry order" that is put out by the FCC. The special extra channels have yet to be included in this order. So you'd be missing out on those extra channels if you'd get cable or satellite.

I do ratings for kids' TV shows under another moniker I use, and the converter box lets me get qubo, V-Me (Spanish dub PBS channel with lots of redubbed imported kids' shows,) and the kids-only station from a high school PBS station.

Nickelodeon gets just so much (saw at a friend's house - pretty much inane rubbish, except for Nick Jr.)

Anyways, my entertainment-oriented friends have decided to go with buying commercial-free episodes on their Xbox360, they invite their close friends to their small theater room - lots of bean bag chairs, and a sofa. It has a computer for Youtube videos, a Playstation 3 Blu-ray, and the above said Xbox360. They pool their money to afford all that. But that's them.

Me? I'm fine with the converter boxes. I'm in a pretty urban area, and NBC's channels (Channel 4, Telemundo and Pax-TV sets) seems to get a bit of interference, when there are low clouds over the freeways (they collect the exhaust and weaken the signal) Iwouldn't trade the 64 channels I receive for anything, even if some of them are in Korean, Farsi, Japanese, Spanish and Vietnamese.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Only the primary channels carry the "must carry order" that is put out by the FCC. The special extra channels have yet to be included in this order. So you'd be missing out on those extra channels if you'd get cable or satellite.

I do ratings for kids' TV shows under another moniker I use, and the converter box lets me get qubo, V-Me (Spanish dub PBS channel with lots of redubbed imported kids' shows,) and the kids-only station from a high school PBS station.

Nickelodeon gets just so much (saw at a friend's house - pretty much inane rubbish, except for Nick Jr.)

Anyways, my entertainment-oriented friends have decided to go with buying commercial-free episodes on their Xbox360, they invite their close friends to their small theater room - lots of bean bag chairs, and a sofa. It has a computer for Youtube videos, a Playstation 3 Blu-ray, and the above said Xbox360. They pool their money to afford all that. But that's them.

Me? I'm fine with the converter boxes. I'm in a pretty urban area, and NBC's channels (Channel 4, Telemundo and Pax-TV sets) seems to get a bit of interference, when there are low clouds over the freeways (they collect the exhaust and weaken the signal) Iwouldn't trade the 64 channels I receive for anything, even if some of them are in Korean, Farsi, Japanese, Spanish and Vietnamese.
Kind of an off the wall question, but, with the direction that Internet TV is going, do you think cable companies/satellite services are concerned with losing customer share? It's at a point now almost now, where if you have a cable/DSL connection, you can stream any type of A/V media to your TV.

my Vizio 22" LCD has a digital tuner already in it still getting the same 3 channels I've been getting for a few days now.

7.1,7.2, and 35.1 (i like this channel because they show WWE smackdown on fridays).

After the transition only 1 channel will be going back to VHF-high. 7.1/7.2.

TonyT

DTVUSA Member
I've got a sneaking suspicion that anyone that visits this forum, is here to learn more about upgrading their television set with a converter box. ;) So we may see some skewed results for the poll, but I like the idea! We thought about going back to cable with gas prices back down and all, but I just can't bring myself to pay $50/month for it.