What are your thoughts on Anime?

Honestly, I have never sat down to see what Anime is all about. But one of my previous supervisors and a high school friend of mine said that they love Anime. I don't remember what they said Anime was all about.I believe Anime is a Japanese Cartoon. I had seen a glimpse of Anime before and don't know if I would like it. To be fair , it's like they say how do you know if you would like something if you don't give it a try. Weird shows and cartoons are things that I usually take interest in. At times I will admit some things are just a little too on the weird side for me. Some Questions that I have are. What is Anime all about? How can one get into Anime? Would I need to look forward to anything? What can Anime be compared to as far as other weird shows? What channels do Anime come on if even channels? , Just in case I don't want to subscribe to Netflix or Hulu.

Anime is Japanese animation, and the term encompasses a ton of material. Just like American animation, there are programs aimed at children (kodomo) and others for adults (like the difference between Rugrats and South Park here.) There are genres within Anime as well, mainly broken into Shojen/shojo (for girls) and Shonen/shounen (for boys.) As in any genre, there are some I like and some I don't. If you like Disney movies, check out Studio Ghibli as a starting point. My favorites by Hayao Miyazaki are Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Flying Delivery Service, and Spirited Away. Cartoon Network airs anime during Toonami, a segment of Adult Swim at night. I like anime with a lot of action and a good story line, with very little romance. My picks are FullMetal Alchemist, Hellsing, Escaflowne, Gundam, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Code Geass, Deathnote, and Outlaw Star.

Another good point to mention is that original Japanese anime is going to fall into two main categories in America: Subs and Dubs. Subs have the original Japanese audio with English subtitles, while Dubs have English dubbed over the original audio. I prefer dubs, simply because anime is usually fast-paced, and if you're reading the screen you might miss some action. But that's just me.

Netflix has a wonderful anime selection, but if you don't want to go that route your best free option is Popular Animes | Watch Anime Online Free | English Dubbed / Subbed Anime Videos, Anime Episodes

If you liked Nickelodeon's Avatar the Last Airbender, or if you like Adventure Time, you'll be guaranteed to find an anime you like. Hope that helps, if you have further questions feel free to ask!

Cadus

DTVUSA Member
First of all, just like all shows, there are good anime and bad anime. Some are done very well, and some are cheap because they're intended for younger audiences. However, there are very good ones. I, for one, am an anime fan. I've kept a list of all of the anime that I've seen every episode of and I rate it, 1-10.

Something to keep in mind is that because they are animated and normally intended for younger audiences, the main characters are normally younger, as in between 14 and 20. Also, the opening and ending credits, the songs, are normally pretty... weird. Don't let this fool you into thinking that mature, adult themes aren't present, i.e. tragedy and death.

What most people see as a drawback of anime is that it is originally voice-acted in the Japanese. I see this as a plus. When America puts English voice acting to replace to original Japanese, most of the time it is done terribly (there are some exceptions). But with Japanese, even if it's not done too well, the fact that it's in a different language makes it harder to discern annoying-sounding voices. Getting used to subtitles is pivotal when watching anime and completely worth it, because then no anime is off limits.

The coolest thing about anime is that because it's animated, characters and special effects are not bound by actors and CGI. Literally anything that is intended to show up on the screen is possible. As a result, some plots are grand and spectacular, you just have to know which ones to watch. Honestly, I envy you that you haven't seen the good ones yet. If I could forget them to rewatch them I would in a heartbeat.

Most quality anime are going to be shorter, as in less than 30 episodes. This is because they can bring in a story and wrap it up without stretching it out longer than need be. Again, there are exceptions which I could list, but you would have no idea what I'm talking about.

I don't know what kind of show you like, but a good one to change your mind about anime is Anohana, which has a much longer full title (translated loosely to "The Flower We Saw That Day"). But the anime revolves around high school kids and how they deal with some really intense events in their lives. I REALLY suggest you watch the first two episodes of this. You'll be forever influenced in the way you think about anime.
The Web site crunchyroll is a great place to watch anime for free, with some short commercial breaks if you weren't wanting to do Netflix or Hulu. Here's a link to that anime I suggested:
Crunchyroll - Watch Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day Episode 1 - Super Peace Busters
Good luck entering a new world of awesome. If you finish that one, let me know and I'll suggest some more for you.

Cadus

DTVUSA Member
The link that kamikazefairy offered is a good one, too. If you choose one from there then I would suggest Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Toradora!, or Code Geass. Again, those all have characters in their teens, but they are still great anime. Also again, be prepared for some weird opening and ending credits songs. The songs might grow on you, but it'll be a while.

On the same Web site that he linked you'll find those Miyazaki movies that he mentioned. I highly recommend those as well. They're like American Disney movies, but much more artistic in style and delivery. They don't assume that the viewer is a kid and don't have immature humor.

I really need to get better with subtitles, it opens an entirely new world of anime (also, subs are easier to find online for free.)

Miyazaki is truly an artist. I have friends who don't care for most anime but love Miyazaki films. His work transcends taste barriers.

Cadus

DTVUSA Member
Miyazaki is truly an artist. I have friends who don't care for most anime but love Miyazaki films. His work transcends taste barriers.
Completely true. Even Disney agrees, evident by their cooperation with Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli these past few years. The Wind Rises and The Secret World of Arrietty are both the result of that partnership. I love anime.

I enjoy anime and there are many different ones to choose from. One of the most important things to know is the terms used to define the genre or type of anime you are watching. Some are romance other are action and yes there are some that have strong sexual overtones and themes.

Anime is Japanese animation, and the term encompasses a ton of material. Just like American animation, there are programs aimed at children (kodomo) and others for adults (like the difference between Rugrats and South Park here.) There are genres within Anime as well, mainly broken into Shojen/shojo (for girls) and Shonen/shounen (for boys.) As in any genre, there are some I like and some I don't. If you like Disney movies, check out Studio Ghibli as a starting point. My favorites by Hayao Miyazaki are Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Flying Delivery Service, and Spirited Away. Cartoon Network airs anime during Toonami, a segment of Adult Swim at night. I like anime with a lot of action and a good story line, with very little romance. My picks are FullMetal Alchemist, Hellsing, Escaflowne, Gundam, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Code Geass, Deathnote, and Outlaw Star.

Another good point to mention is that original Japanese anime is going to fall into two main categories in America: Subs and Dubs. Subs have the original Japanese audio with English subtitles, while Dubs have English dubbed over the original audio. I prefer dubs, simply because anime is usually fast-paced, and if you're reading the screen you might miss some action. But that's just me.

Netflix has a wonderful anime selection, but if you don't want to go that route your best free option is Popular Animes | Watch Anime Online Free | English Dubbed / Subbed Anime Videos, Anime Episodes

If you liked Nickelodeon's Avatar the Last Airbender, or if you like Adventure Time, you'll be guaranteed to find an anime you like. Hope that helps, if you have further questions feel free to ask!

Thanks I really appreciated all the help. I think I will check out Anime. My best bet like you said is to watch popular anime online for free or I have cable, so watching nick my be great as well. I will definitely ask you more questions if I have some more. You seem to have a lot of knowledge on this subject , which is wonderful. Maybe I will start tomorrow on checking out some episodes. Adventure time is great. I enjoy the uniqueness that the producer put into this cartoon. As for the last bender, that is definitely a rad movie. The action is crazy. I am also a action pack lover. It's a thrill for me.

I want to thank everyone for all your help. It sounds like I need to finally check anime out. being that my friend had tried to get me into for a while.

If you want some good action based anime I would recommend Trigun, FullMetal Alchemist, Saiyuki, Bleach, Trinity Blood, and Cowboy BeBop. I have watched these all and love them- some are Looooooong (Bleach) and others are shorter so you have a good variety there.

James

DTVUSA Member
I watch on and off. Definitely different fare. I remember, back in the late 60s an animated cartoon called Kimba The White Lion. It reminds me of the Japanese style of animating..which was different than Warner and HB...back then.

[video=youtube_share;lQsQqOlPjhs]http://youtu.be/lQsQqOlPjhs[/video]

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
Honestly, I have never sat down to see what Anime is all about. But one of my previous supervisors and a high school friend of mine said that they love Anime. I don't remember what they said Anime was all about.I believe Anime is a Japanese Cartoon. I had seen a glimpse of Anime before and don't know if I would like it. To be fair , it's like they say how do you know if you would like something if you don't give it a try. Weird shows and cartoons are things that I usually take interest in. At times I will admit some things are just a little too on the weird side for me. Some Questions that I have are. What is Anime all about? How can one get into Anime? Would I need to look forward to anything? What can Anime be compared to as far as other weird shows? What channels do Anime come on if even channels? , Just in case I don't want to subscribe to Netflix or Hulu.

Anime is Japanese cartoon basically. It can range from many things from vampire things to other things...(Not really going to say what) You can actually find anime on netflix. I personally don't like animes anymore. But you would just have to find one that you like, it depends on what you want to watch.

You can find an anime for every topic and genre really- vampires, werewolves, angels, demons, romance, action, the undead, supernatural, the list goes on and on. A tip for trying out an amine show you are interested in is to see if there are episodes on youube. I used to watch Bleach and several others on youtube. Its a good way to try out a few episodes and see if you like the show before buying the DVD or paying for the movie and finding out you dont like it.