Question: What can I do to stop sunshine glare on my new HDTV?

DarrenHDTV

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Just bought a new Samsung LN40B550 with a new TV cabinet and connected everything. Great picture and very happy except the screen is very glossy and I have the TV positioned perfectly to reflect a 4:30-5:15PM sun beam coming directly through a sun window in our ceiling.

I do NOT want to move the TV and at the same time I do not want to cover the sunlight.

Is this mission impossible?

Or you can try tinting the window as well. The process is very similar to getting your vehicle windows tinted. We're actually thinking about doing this on the East side of our house.

kicks92

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Or you can try tinting the window as well. The process is very similar to getting your vehicle windows tinted. We're actually thinking about doing this on the East side of our house.
I would opt for the shading over tinting. Tinting probably won't be enough to help. Some tinting can cause problems with dual pane windows. The tint can actually reflect heat from the sun back inside the thermal pane unit and create a heat fracture from expansion. It is not 100% failure rate but it does happen. I am in the glass business and I change out at least a dozen units a year because of heat fractures due to tinting. And if it doesn't fracture it could wear out the seal. All in all probably average a $1000 repair depending on the install.

I just installed blackout curtains over my patio doors and they work great. I'm cheap so I bought them at Walmart. Not the most beautiful curtains, but completely functional.