What Classic Series Have You Watched Lately

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I wanted to ask what DVD set you may have watched recently of a vintage TV series that goes back in time at least 2 decades but with DVD sales not what they used to be I decided to broaden it, especially since so many classics are on Hulu and similar sites now.

I just finished watching the entire 5 year run of the original Family Affair. I was really surprised actually because I found myself glued to these shows. I had a lot of fun, even with the repetitiveness of plots and lack of continuity. Now I have on Gilligan's Island. I'm early into the second season.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I get a lot of the "classics" on broadcast TV networks. I get AntennaTV, My Family TV, and PBJ. KBYU also broadcasts some oldies, like I Love Lucy and Perry Mason. That gives me a lot to watch along with internet content. I have a rule, If it's on broadcast TV, I don't watch it online.

A lot of people don't want to watch anything that's not "New" - movies or TV. I love having all that old content available - there's over 100 years of film and TV dating back to the 1940's. Sure, a lot of it's dated, but it's a vast amount of content and it's nice to be able to see my favorites from my youth again (and Gilligan was one of them), or be able to share it with those that never saw it. Watching an episode of "The Twilight Zone" for the 12th time beats watching any "NEW!" reality TV mind-rot that a lot of people actually pay to watch today (Jersey Shore, I'm looking at YOU!)

I'd like to observe a moment of silence for all the great classic TV that has been lost forever - Pretty much the entire Dumont network archives were dumped in the East River ( DuMont Television Network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) and a lot of the BBC content and other network's classic and historic shows was lost forever due to the practice of "wiping":
Wiping or junking is a colloquial term for action taken by radio and television production and broadcasting companies, in which old audiotapes, videotapes, and telerecordings (kinescopes), are erased, reused, or destroyed after several uses. The practice was prevalent during the 1960s and 1970s, although it is now less common since associated storage costs have decreased, and especially since the advent of domestic audiovisual playback technology (e.g. videocassette and DVD), with broadcasters and production houses realizing both the economic and cultural value of keeping archived material for both rebroadcast and potential profits through release on home video.
Wiping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
I actually pretty much only watch the classics on dvd. My big thing right now is watching the old saturday morning live tv shows that were so popular in the 1970's. The Banana Splits (only one episode available for now), Space Academy (with Jonathan Harris), Monster Squad (not the awesome 1987 movie), The Ghost Busters (with Forest Tucker and Larry Storch), Jason of Star Command, and Ark II.

Before my current trend I was checking out some of the Lassie tv shows and found a dvd with the original pilot episode of Lassie (Jeff's Collie) that was filmed in color. This wasn't a "colorized" version either, it was actually filmed in color and that was so cool.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
No judging me on this one, but I've been actually watching a little Murder She Wrote on TV Land lately. Kind of reminds me of my childhood days of watching TV. :)

Orrymain

Wow, the Banana Splits. Now that was a fun, zany show. I remember that it was syndicated for a while. I haven't thought about them in a long time.

Pogi, I know a lot of stuff is on TV but I really was asking more about intense viewing of a series and not just seeing it on TV every day. I would have mentioned something like Perry Mason otherwise which is on Hallmark right now. Edited to pieces but I still love watching it for the first time in many, many years. I also agree with you on the dumping. We lost some great shows that way including a lot of the early Tonight Shows with Johnny Carson. I believe others have been lost due to fire, or fires.

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
Aaron, Im a fan of British Mystery shows (often shown on PBS via WGBH in Boston). Murder, She Wrote was very popular back in the day and not a bad show at all.

On my list...

BaltleStar Galactica
Fantasy Island
All in the Family
The Mod Squad
Magnum PI

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
I'd like to observe a moment of silence for all the great classic TV that has been lost forever - Pretty much the entire Dumont network archives were dumped in the East River ( DuMont Television Network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) and a lot of the BBC content and other network's classic and historic shows was lost forever due to the practice of "wiping":
Wiping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's an interesting link about DuMont Network remote busses. telecruiser.com

Orrymain

Aaron, Im a fan of British Mystery shows (often shown on PBS via WGBH in Boston). Murder, She Wrote was very popular back in the day and not a bad show at all.

On my list...

BaltleStar Galactica
Fantasy Island
All in the Family
The Mod Squad
Magnum PI
I recently watched the first season of Fantasy Island on DVD. That was a kick. The set had the two pilots on it. The first one was so dark. I remember seeing it originally and liked it, but I am glad they went with a lighter tone. Of course, the rethink series did not. I'd love to see The Mod Squad again. It's been quite a while since I've seen any of those shows.

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
I recently watched the first season of Fantasy Island on DVD. That was a kick. The set had the two pilots on it. The first one was so dark. I remember seeing it originally and liked it, but I am glad they went with a lighter tone.
Thanks for jogging my memory. Yea, in the original pilot Mr. Roarke and Tattoo were a rather evil duo and nothing like what they were to become.

I just bumped disc one of season one (with the pilot episode) to the top of my Netflix dvds by mail list. Should be here within 2 days and I can hardly wait to see that one again.

Orrymain

Mr. Roarke's "Welcome to Fantasy Island" was spoken much more dubiously, if that's the right word ... and he had this devious look on his face. He went from the devil to an agent of God in one episode. lol

Just finished the last of Gilligan's Island. Now in the DVD -- Rocky and Bullwinkle! I don't remember the little bit about how Mr. Peabody adopted Sherman. That was a kick to see again.