What do you expect from a TV??

I have only been on this forum for a little while, and there has been a lot of poeple going out of there way to be ney sayers of 3D. What do you guys expect from your TV's, and what do you expect them to be in the future??
I agree glasses, crappy screens that limit off center issues(which has always been an issue with projection TV's), content, cost..etc

I am curious if people just expect it to stay a box on the wall, or do you expect to be more immersive with touch screens, 3D, applications, almost a desktop PC replacement, web surfing etc....
There is always a starting point, and it's typically never great, BUTTTTTTT, you are not losing anything by currently investing in it. 3D is just an option!! If you are looking for a TV with a picture that can rival the coveted Pioneer Kuro. These tv's are them, even the LCD counterparts because of the use of local dimming LED's, the processing, and resources available to drive the TV.
I am also curious what people are running for setups, and if they are even in the market for a new TV.
If you are not looking for the best quality picture available, and don't want to spend the money. Then there are plenty of other options out there for you.
This part of the forum I thought was for 3D HDTV, not for people posting anti threads because they are still running 480p tube TV's hand pumping to the jersey shores watching it over their leeched cable signal from their neighbors. Where are the folks that own them, want to learn more, trade ideas etc.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
There's definitely some bias here for OTA and old fashioned HDTV, lol, I wouldn't worry about disagreeing with anyone here except if the person's name is "Bicker". :)

I'd love to see touch screens on future TVs. I agree with your thoughts on 3D just being an option and especially if an extra $200-$500 isn't a concern but in this economy, it's definitely a concern for me. I'm in the wait and see camp. We're just now starting to see more content on TV and movies. I'm hoping picture quality improves over the next year too because of the 3D movies I've scene, they've been a bit dark.

There's definitely some bias here for OTA and old fashioned HDTV, lol, I wouldn't worry about disagreeing with anyone here except if the person's name is "Bicker". :)

I'd love to see touch screens on future TVs. I agree with your thoughts on 3D just being an option and especially if an extra $200-$500 isn't a concern but in this economy, it's definitely a concern for me. I'm in the wait and see camp. We're just now starting to see more content on TV and movies. I'm hoping picture quality improves over the next year too because of the 3D movies I've scene, they've been a bit dark.
Finally someone :D
Movies are a bit dark in the stores because they are competing with the store lighting, you can compensate quite well for the glasses. I calibrated my TV, and just have to tweak the gamma, and brightness and voila

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Finally someone :D
Movies are a bit dark in the stores because they are competing with the store lighting, you can compensate quite well for the glasses. I calibrated my TV, and just have to tweak the gamma, and brightness and voila
How does 3DTV look in a lit room though? My problem is that I have a ton of windows where my TV sits. I hope to fix that by buying a house this year, but for now I've heard that 3D viewing is a better experienced in a darker room?

I have huge french doors, and a window that shines towards the TV.... I have Samsung plasma 3D TV, and it over powers the sunlight, which is rare for plasma. Samsung did good, but the glasses are the down side. 3D is best viewed in a darker room because of the glare on the back of the glasses :( Nothing to do with the screen at all.
Plasma TV's typically have glass panels, so on black transitions you can see yourself...Same with any high contrast TV including LCD..
Bright houses definitely would benefit from a LCD, downside is at the moment lcd's can not do a full 1080 for 3d...but I'd argue that you wouldn't know the better :)

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Jason,

Most of the 3D posts (articles) in that area of the Forum were found by me. I was not purposely selecting negative articles, but current articles. You probably have more 3D viewing experience and theory than all of the 'regulars here' combined and we welcome your input, especially because it helps counterbalance the plethora of negative information found online. I am not opposed to having the option of 3DTV at all and I doubt others here are.

Jim