What do you think of Vimeo?

tmcmeekin

DTVUSA Member
Vimeo is a video site that's been around for a while, and while I often see videos posted there featured on other blogs and websites, I rarely go to the Vimeo site itself (the way I do with YouTube, which I visit nearly every day to keep up with a few channels or to search out a particular video).

In my experience, the content on Vimeo is more more artistic, with more focus on production value, and longer than the "average" YouTube video. It seems to be the choice of serious filmmakers, where YouTube is the choice for cat videos or daily vloggers. It could be because the free accounts for Vimeo have some limits and you must pay for more features. (Then again, maybe that's just because I don't see the chaff re-posted elsewhere).

Have you used Vimeo? Do you see it as a rival to YouTube?

Also, do you have any favorite channels/users on Vimeo?

I have used it to look up short films before. Also, I know from working at the San Diego Film Festival that many features which didn't get a studio-backed release (for commercial reasons not because of quality in most cases!) have signed up to be featured on their on-demand service. I don't think it will put a dent in YouTube as the main depository for videos made by the public but Vimeo beats them hand-down for film and video art. The pay-wall bit does make a difference, but these are cinematic/video works of art that in any other era of filmmaking would be in independent cinemas everywhere.

James

DTVUSA Member
I am thinking about setting an account. I have a YouTube acct and it works fine for me. I have not kept up with the differences between the two. I think Vimeo used to limit the amount of video you could upload for free. Need exploration.

James

DTVUSA Member
OK..here some fresh comparisons from Mashable.

Vimeo vs YouTube

One of the "features" you may want is the ad revenue on YouTube. I don't make much at all but I do make a few bucks. If you had a lot of videos or a few virals...you could...COULD make quite a bit of money through YouTube.

Funafuti

DTVUSA Member
I think one of the reasons the average quality of a Vimeo video seems to be a bit higher than the average quality of a YouTube video (generally speaking) is because it's never quite taken off and been as popular as YouTube. People filming their friends drunkenly trying to jump from the roof of their car into a garbage can seem more likely to upload the results to YouTube. People shooting their own 10-minute shot film about the nothingness of being seem more likely to upload the results to Vimeo.

tmcmeekin

DTVUSA Member
I am thinking about setting an account. I have a YouTube acct and it works fine for me. I have not kept up with the differences between the two. I think Vimeo used to limit the amount of video you could upload for free. Need exploration.
Yes, Vimeo does limit uploads. You can view the different tiers of service here: https://vimeo.com/upgrade1v2 or when you sign up.

What's your YouTube channel and what kind of content do you have? And, if you don't mind me asking, how much have you made?