Question: What do you watch LIVE on TV?

Funafuti

DTVUSA Member
When it comes to watching truly LIVE TV, for me it's all about sports and breaking news. That's all I can really think of. And not very often with breaking news, unless it's something really urgent. Sometimes I'll check out what's happening on the space station via the NASA channel, which is really fun. My son and I watched a soyuz capsule landing live on TV last year, too.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
You know what's horrible? I'm so tired of commentators and commercials, I don't even watch sports live anymore. I DVR'd most of the Olympics and watched the majority of it on DVR and I do the same for NASCAR. If my driver ends up out of the picture, I can just leap over the other activity. It's horrible but I'm content doing so. Boy has life changed.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Live? That would be SNL, even though it is not the show it once was it is one of the few things that are broadcast live anymore, except for sports. Speaking of sports, I was pretty disappointed that the Olympics games were all on tape, thanks NBC/Comtrash!

Things that I used to enjoy live? Space missions. I remember the world pretty much stopped for moon landings. Yea, I can still watch the NASA channel, but it's not the same (And I miss Walter Chronkite)

Another thing that has declined is the shows that were filmed LIVE with a studio audience - like "All In The Family". It brought some authenticity to the performance, and I hate canned laughter.

Live? That would be SNL, even though it is not the show it once was it is one of the few things that are broadcast live anymore, except for sports. Speaking of sports, I was pretty disappointed that the Olympics games were all on tape, thanks NBC/Comtrash!

Things that I used to enjoy live? Space missions. I remember the world pretty much stopped for moon landings. Yea, I can still watch the NASA channel, but it's not the same (And I miss Walter Chronkite)

Another thing that has declined is the shows that were filmed LIVE with a studio audience - like "All In The Family". It brought some authenticity to the performance, and I hate canned laughter.
I agree! I still remember watching a program and hearing them say "taped in front of a live studio audience" It was much more natural, I hate laugh tracks!

It's interesting what you are all saying as most of the shows mentioned there claim to be live without us truly knowing that they are or have been filmed live but are shown recorded. The 'live' label seems to be more of a guarantee or promise of realism than of live transmission. It sounds like there's interest in showing events continuously and/or without commentary and interruption, which suggests we want unmediated access to them through TV. I find it really hard to discern real 'Breaking News' from minor, redundant developments in old news stories.