What does OTA and CECB mean?

CadDad

DTVUSA Member
Just for a little more information on CECBs; there's really no reason to call them that anymore IMHO. The Goverment stopped giving out $40 dtv coupons on July 31, 2009, which in essence means that a "coupon elgible" converter boxes are nothing more than a basic digital-to-analog converter box.

CadDad

DTVUSA Member
To me there is still a very good reason. It describes the fact it has basic features, not HD, etc.
Yeah, but this is place is more technical than that right? Coupon elgible is implying that a converter is still elgible for subsitance money. Anything sold after the end of October is just a "converter box". An HD tuner is not a converter box right? It's a tuner, because it does not convert a signal to analog.

Eureka

DTVUSA Member
Just for a little more information on CECBs; there's really no reason to call them that anymore IMHO. The Goverment stopped giving out $40 dtv coupons on July 31, 2009..
Many coupons haven't expired yet, so, there is still reason to use the term CECB.

To the OP:
Hover your mouse over any underlined acronym in the forum ( e.g. CECB ) to see what it means.

Last edited:
Plus it's easier to type out than 'Digital Converter Box'

I guess one could use the letters 'CB' to mean 'Converter Box' but some old folks from the late '70s would confuse that with Citizen's Band.

Some acronyms here if you mouse over them (point to them) it brings up a 'tooltip' which spells it out. CECB moused-over would reveal 'Coupon Eligible Converter Box'

Others:

EPG = Electronic Program Guide

TVGOS = TV Guide On-Screen

OSD = On-Screen Display

OTA = Over The Air (transmission of TV signal, i.e., rabbit ears not cable or satellite)

FTA = Free To Air (Satellite, as in old C-Band and getting about as many channels as analog but more content for free)

Last edited:

Piggie

Super Moderator
thank you. its very confusing to understand all of this already.
Most of the stuff on that list will underline in threads, and you can hover your mouse to see it. Some letter combinations are too common for other things, like Los Angles, CA. The system would think the Los means Line Of Sight, so some things won't underline.

========

Also a question to Jay. Can you make the underlining case sensitive? So only LOS underlines and not Los ?