What else is open to Government regulation

Banning gasoline for the 'Electric Car Transition'

LOL but truth is that if it works for something small the Government will attempt further 'transitions'.

They already have it out for regular (non-fluorescent) lightbulbs in some areas. they will most definitely go farther. as for banning trans fats and fatty foods, that will be my death as my high metabolism REQUIRES it to keep my weight up; i have a bad problem with overactive thyroid and need them otherwise i can't get up and drop down below 80lbs. and i'm 30. for those people who have problems losing weight, i'd trade in a heartbeat. do you know what it's like to eat eat eat and never feel full?

I'm sorry but i refuse to live in a society of vegans.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
If I had your weight issue, I'd eat lots and lots of ice cream. Never mind I already eat lots and lots and lots of ice cream:D Luckily I still don't have an issue with my weight (6'-3" 220lbs) I don't mind living in a society of Vegans. But I'm surely not going to join them. I also think we should be able to eat what we want when we want it. It is America after all.:usa2: Isn't it???

LOL but truth is that if it works for something small the Government will attempt further 'transitions'.

They already have it out for regular (non-fluorescent) lightbulbs in some areas. they will most definitely go farther. as for banning trans fats and fatty foods, that will be my death as my high metabolism REQUIRES it to keep my weight up; i have a bad problem with overactive thyroid and need them otherwise i can't get up and drop down below 80lbs. and i'm 30. for those people who have problems losing weight, i'd trade in a heartbeat. do you know what it's like to eat eat eat and never feel full?

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
The Government wants to ban gas guzzling SUVs, power consuming HDTVs and artery clogging trans fats.
New York preps for battle against salt - Diet and nutrition- msnbc.com
What else is open to Government regulation? Pick your favorite past time. Could it be next on the list? You better think again;)
"thinking" may be on the list as well. haha Salt...if they get this to pass, what would the standard be? You're only allowed so many mg per oz. of food?

Too much salt raises blood pressure, and high blood pressure raises the risk of heart disease. A recent analysis showed that for every gram of salt cut, as many as 250,000 cases of heart disease and 200,000 deaths could be prevented over a decade.
I would love to see this analysis, who did it, and arrived at that conclusion.

Wow, do they have you regulated with synthroid?

I represent the anti-society of vegans. :) eat close to 30 egg whites, 2-4 chicken breasts, and 1 lb turkey burger or ribeye each day.

If I had your weight issue, I'd eat lots and lots of ice cream. Never mind I already eat lots and lots and lots of ice cream:D Luckily I still don't have an issue with my weight (6'-3" 220lbs) I don't mind living in a society of Vegans. But I'm surely not going to join them. I also think we should be able to eat what we want when we want it. It is America after all.:usa2: Isn't it???
Land of the free and home of the brave.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
The whole point of government is to be able to collectively do what individually we cannot do. So, for example, people collectively decided that it is best to have competitors in the marketplace for cable television set-top boxes, instead of the duopoly of Motorola and Scientific Atlanta (Cisco). However, the normal means for customers to effect an appropriate change in the marketplace, i.e., doing without expanded basic until the cable companies opened up their networks, didn't work. So they got government to pass a law, requiring support for CableCARD devices. (In that case, the government didn't go far enough, resulting in this unfair situation we have today, where cable companies have to do something that satellite don't have to do, but that's another thread.)

If public good could come about without government, there would be no need for government. The reality is that quite often the only way for people to even be able to do the right thing is if they're required to, because the only way that doing the right thing can be viable is if everyone has to do it. This is a reality of how society works. We don't necessarily have to like it.

Before I go on, let's clear something up: No one is considering banning salt. Even if every bit of the proposed laws get enacted, you will be able to have a huge vat of salt on the table and sprinkle in as much as you want. You could spoon the salt into your mouth, like soup, if you want. Anyone trying to tell you different is just yanking your chain, trying to make a fool out of you. The laws being considered would restrict how much salt convenience food manufacturers put into their products -- put salt into the food in such a manner that you, the consumer, couldn't choose to have the product with less salt, except by paying a punitive premium in terms of money, or loss of convenience. The laws are aimed directly at manufacturers taking your choice away.

Just like with salt, the problem with trans-fats is that it is in food, again thereby taking away your ability as a consumer to control how much trans-fat you consume, should you reasonably choose to consume convenience foods. This whole class of foods, a very significant percentage of all food sold, for strong society-driven reasons. Laws would be focused on one thing: Making it reasonable practical to be a consumer in our society, purchasing convenience food, and able to avoid trans-fats and salt, if they so choose. People can always mix more salt or fat themselves, if they wish.

Beyond the matter of choice, there is no compelling need for either salt or trans-fats to be included in food in such high concentrations. They are typically there as substitutes for better ingredients (olive oil is better tasting and better for your than commercial trans-fats), better recipes (both ingredients are crutches), for better packaging (salt is something a preservative), etc.

We have always had a good bit of government prompting regarding gasoline. Originally, there was the push to use it -- it was viewed as fuel not only for automobiles but for economic vitality itself. After 1973, that reversed, with the recognition of how much gasoline consumption represents American weakness. Rather than banning it, the government taxes it, and applies penalties for automobiles that use more of it than other automobiles do. Again, collective action prompting more of the types of consumer behaviors that are to society's benefit, and less of the types of consumer behaviors that are to society's detriment.

Is the system perfect? Of course not. Nothing ever is, nor will anything ever be. The compact-florescent bulbs are ostensibly a good idea. They use less energy and they last many times longer. However, the light over my kitchen sink is a bit strange. Any time I put a flood incandescent (what the outlet was made for) or a compact-florescent bulb in there, it breaks within six months. So not only is it incredibly expensive to replace a compact-florescent bulb every six months, there is a societal cost, because compact-florescent bulbs have heavy metals in them. It would be better for society for me to use cheap incandescent bulbs there, but they cannot make exceptions like that (mostly because consumers are mostly like whiny spoiled brats, and if the cheaper incandescent option still is available, they're going to feel entitled to use it, even when society would be better service by the compact-florescent bulbs).

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Come on bicker. Now your yanking our chain. First off, where in the constitution is Government given power
to collectively do what individually we cannot do.
That is NOT the point of Government. Get and read a copy of the Constitution of the United States and learn of the Governments limited rights. The cable company's accepted tax dollars to offset the high cost of installing long runs of cable to homes and businesses and that is the reason the Government had a say in regulating the cable company's competition.
City officials are meeting with food makers and restaurants to discuss reducing the amount of salt in common foods such as soup, pasta sauce, salad dressing and bread.
Did you read the phrase restaurants? The Government was not given the power to tell us how much or how little to eat and with what flavor it should or should not be. If you don't like the flavor or content of the restaurant food you eat then don't eat at that restaurant again. It's really that simple to regulate what they put on your plate. It doesn't require a law. What next? Tell me I'm limited on how much ice cream I can keep in the house. People pull your heads out of the sand. The outrageous tax on tobacco didn't effect me and the ban on salt won't effect me. I'm not going to sit still and wait for the Government to effect My favorite past time. Like I stated in my original post.
Could it be next on the list? You better think again;)

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
I lean on the side of education rather than government regulation (for food), and let the consumer choose how they want to live life.

Why not ban or limit Caffeine? It has had little regulation over the past century though it contributes to high blood pressure, heart palpatations, and even death, Why? Coke. Pepsi. Energy Drinks. Those are deep pockets, but you won't see Government try to regulate that industry any time soon.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Come on bicker. Now your yanking our chain. First off, where in the constitution is Government given power
First, I used "government" with a lower-case "g". Second, the government has power; it's specified. The point was that that which government is for is to do things that people cannot or won't do without government imposing it. In other words, government shouldn't do things for which government is not needed to make happen.

That is NOT the point of Government. Get and read a copy of the Constitution of the United States and learn of the Governments limited rights.
My statements outline limited rights. You've obviously misunderstood.

Also, remember that the limitations on the federal government outlined in the Constitution of the United States does not limit what the government of the State of New York can do. Indeed, the Constitution of the United States says explicitly that if the Constitution doesn't explicitly prohibit it, and the power associated is not specifically reserved to the federal government, then the state governments absolutely have the right to exercise such powers.

Did you read the phrase restaurants?
You tell me how a diner will be able to pull the salt and trans-fat out of something if a restaurant pre-makes it. Because this is a cost-impacting consideration, restaurants will only provide choices if forced to, because it would be suicide to take unilateral action. That provides standing for the government to take action.

What next? Tell me I'm limited on how much ice cream I can keep in the house.
If you don't like it, move. Your personal preferences don't trump what is best for the people of the state you live in.

Last edited:

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Capitalization - know when and when not to capitalize
Government

- Capitalize the word “Government” when referring to the country’s Government or that of any foreign nation.
Example:
· Her Majesty’s Government · Government responsibility
· Imperial Government · on official Government business
Try using facts and not opinions in your posts. It helps reduce misunderstandings.
If you don't like it, move. Your personal preferences don't trump what is best for the people of the state you live in.
We can all see where you're coming from now:thumb:

I will never invite one to leave the USA or to keep their opinions to themselves, just because they disagree with me;) That would be regulating ones right to free speech.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Try using facts and not opinions in your posts. It helps reduce misunderstandings.
Try allowing for people to disagree with you. Not everything is cut-and-dried with your personal opinion (even if you do try to call it "fact" :rolleyes: ) the only possible correct one.

I will never invite one to leave the USA or to keep their opinions to themselves, just because they disagree with me;) That would be regulating ones right to free speech.
Actually, choice is a wonderful thing. The freedom to travel, to move around the country, and the world, if they so desire, is one of those American freedoms.

I hope they don't mandate radio stations to shut off analog FM stations. I can't see myself investing in an HD radio to hear a baseball game!

I already have that one solved, since FM radio pretty much sucks here (talk, crappy country today, or rap, take your pick) i have a SIRIUS radio and i don't mind paying the $12/mo to have zero commercials and any genre at my fingertips. i could have all day hair metal, or all day sports, or all day whatever i want. and no matter where i go, the stations remain the same. no static between states or interference.

1mercury1

DTVUSA Jr. Member
The Government wants to ban gas guzzling SUVs, power consuming HDTVs and artery clogging trans fats.
New York preps for battle against salt - Diet and nutrition- msnbc.com
What else is open to Government regulation? Pick your favorite past time. Could it be next on the list? You better think again;)
Everything, the government is out of control. There used to be a time where the normal citizen barely knew the federal government existed. We need to go back to a simpler time.

The Government has mandated that natural selection to the humans is illegal. that means stupid people cannot die from their own stupidity and leave the intelligent behind to benefit. then they go into politics. do the math and you'll figure it out.

First they eliminate lead based paint so those who aren't using their brains and eat paint die from it. then they add a mandate requiring you to wear your seatbelt or lose your license so you cannot die from being too stupid to put it on yourself. it goes on and on and on

The US Government WANTS STUPID PEOPLE.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
That's ridiculous. People have different priorities, and what you might consider simple is actually quite complex to someone who focuses their life in a different direction, just like some of the things that they consider simple, because they've devoted themselves in that direction, you'd either consider complicated, or arrogantly consider simple but be wrong about the answers as often as not.

Regarding the lead paint laws, it is pretty bold to condemn infants and babies because they're not as smart as you imply you were. I'm not sure what constructive purpose such a scurrilous statement serves. And not wearing seatbelts isn't a matter of stupidity, but rather a matter of arrogance, and smart people are as arrogant, if not more so, than stupid people.