What happen when the Switch was Flipped

WOW started scanning around 11:00 today and so far have picked up a least 15-20 more channels over the 24 I had. getting SC as well as NC. channels some I am getting from 90-100 miles out with no breakups at 69-75 percent signal. so now to play with LP analog to see what happens there. More Power AH AH AH AH.

90-100 miles out? are you sure that's not just tropo-scatter? sometimes at night real late i find up to 5 more channels and think that's the transition but it's just a temporary condition and they are only viewable maybe 15-20 minutes before going dead again. a lot of them are other affiliates of NBC and FOX and therefore i'm seeing the same thing but on a channel maybe 100 or so miles away.

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
WOW started scanning around 11:00 today and so far have picked up a least 15-20 more channels over the 24 I had. getting SC as well as NC. channels some I am getting from 90-100 miles out with no breakups at 69-75 percent signal. so now to play with LP analog to see what happens there. More Power AH AH AH AH.
WHAT!?!? :)

I lost WKRC 12.1 and 12.2 and gained nothing yet!!!

One channel changed their programming (sub-channel 9.2, was originally a SD-version of PBS, but now it's local buzz) but other than that it's the same thing. i'm still missing CW 19 WAZE. (hoping to find it via translator)

only changes I'm noticing are that the signals are a little higher on my meter and my PBS that had trouble is much stronger now, that's about it.

gonna scan in a while

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Congratulations! It looks like your hobby just got more interesting. I hope to have more fun soon.

Piggie

Super Moderator
According to Tropospheric Ducting Forecast for VHF & UHF Radio & TV you were dark green as last as 2 pm this afternoon surrounded by blue.

Dark green is moderate tropo and blue is fair. Conditions have been as hot as firecrackers for the last day or so. Both Tropo all over the gulf coast up to NC on the east coast and wild E-skip the last 2 days up into the midwest and Mexico.

Piggie

Super Moderator
might just be skip.......remember how digital signals are stronger at night
Had nothing to do with digital. Digital is a form of modulation. Modulation doesn't effect the characteristics of an RF wave.

Properly stated, VHF and UHF travels farther at night in most cases due to both mild tropo that happens after sun sets and air layers form.

Also with the sun down, there is less noise on the bands. Besides light, the sun also puts out a broad spectrum of electromagnetic radiation, including the TV bands.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Why Stations come in from farther away at night?

Try and keep this simple.

Ever seen a mirage on the road that looks like water? Or seem foggy conditions where you could hear say a train from 10 miles away?

The same thing happens at night to VHF and UHF radio waves that carry the television (both analog and digital) to your TV antenna.

During the day, the sun heats the ground, warming the air directly above it. As you go up in the sky (obvious if you have ever been in a small airplane without air conditioning). This is the normal situation in the day. Air is hotter near the ground and gets colder for the first 10 miles as you go higher from the ground.

Now comes night time. The opposite starts happening. The ground, lacking sunlight, cools. It cools the air above it faster than the air at altitude can cool. Air is a great insulator so the higher air doesn't cool as fast as air near the ground.

This is called some times an inversion because there is hot air above cold air at the surface. Normal is hot air at the surface and colder at altitude.

If this night time cooling at the surface is enough, the radio waves instead of going out into outer space hit the boundary between cool air at the surface and warm air above them and bend back to earth at distances greater than they normally would.

Its like the air becomes a big mirror over the earth at night. Some nights it's stronger than other.

So just like a hot road bends light back at you making it look like water, the hot air above the cold air at night, bends the radio waves back to earth.

Last edited:
Nope still getting all new channels with no problem I had to do a complete rescan to get all my channels back as when they flipped the switch I lost them but when I rescanned they showed up as channel 75 rather than channel 5 which it had been or 78 instead of 8

Piggie

Super Moderator
The bands should still be open, maybe even more intense judging from the predictions.

This high pressure ridge that has settled over the Gulf Coast is causing a lot of dx to run. It may not move for days either.

RTN Changed to VHF so i had zero signal but i got up on my roof and re-aimed the antenna and fixed the rotator (was jammed tighter than a drum) and it's back, and at 80%. the other channels were about 68-73 on a normal day. now apparently re-aiming it also made them jump upwards of 90-98%.

Still no WAZE, and still the same channels as before, i really hoped i'd get bombarded by some newbies but i guess either that was unrealistic thinking and i may just have to live with 15 channels, or maybe i just have to wait. does anyone know what's going to happen now? other than one channel having a band change to VHF it's the same as in February when i bought my first converter. with analog gone are more channels to come?

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Aren't you glad they didn't complete the transition in February as originally planned. You wouldn't be able to get up on the roof and aim the antenna with all the snow.:playball:
RTN Changed to VHF so i had zero signal but i got up on my roof and re-aimed the antenna and fixed the rotator (was jammed tighter than a drum) and it's back, and at 80%. the other channels were about 68-73 on a normal day. now apparently re-aiming it also made them jump upwards of 90-98%.

Still no WAZE, and still the same channels as before, i really hoped i'd get bombarded by some newbies but i guess either that was unrealistic thinking and i may just have to live with 15 channels, or maybe i just have to wait. does anyone know what's going to happen now? other than one channel having a band change to VHF it's the same as in February when i bought my first converter. with analog gone are more channels to come?

Piggie

Super Moderator
Aren't you glad they didn't complete the transition in February as originally planned. You wouldn't be able to get up on the roof and aim the antenna with all the snow.:playball:
This week in the shade it was 95 degrees and 85% humidity making it feel like about 100 degrees.

And there is no shade on my antenna on the roof.

The only snow around here is very illegal and most occurs in South FL, not up in the North part. :mad:)

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
This week in the shade it was 95 degrees and 85% humidity making it feel like about 100 degrees.

And there is no shade on my antenna on the roof.

The only snow around here is very illegal and most occurs in South FL, not up in the North part. :mad:)
It's been a whopping 50 degrees around here.

Been there done that! Oh did I say that out loud:D

No, I'm clean as the driven snow;) , Now

Squire Dustin

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Signal drop out problems here also.

now my signal on all my stations seems to have dropped, maybe this had something to do with the atmosphere, beats me
The same thing occurred in Central Mass (Westminster). I would loose everything except channels 44 and 50. A few hours later they would come back. Things have been OK for a week now.