What is the best antenna for use in a highrise

quezay

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I live in a highrise apartment building and just cancel cable I'am have trouble getting all channels even though most are less than 5 miles away. I have tried different brands manufactured by different companies and still get piss poor reception.

Can anyone recommend a good antenna to use; it must be an indoor antenna as I have no where to place a outdoor antenna I do not have a balcony.

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
One of your main problems in a hi rise is the construction material of the building. Lots of metal and cement. You'll need to place your antenna in a window probably. Also, if you have a balcony facing your transmitters you can put an antenna there.

In order for us to better help you, please go here: TV Fool
and enter your information. Copy the link to your results and post it back her. Also give us some description of your location, eg " 4th floor on east side, 2 windows, no balcony"

quezay

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Here is the requested info

TV Fool

I'am on the 6th floor north side, 3 windows, no balconies.

If this matters there are lots of highrises to the east, west and south none are to the north.

MrPogi

Staff member
Do any of your windows open? Hi rises to the east will be a problem as well as a few VHF hi channels. I think most of your problems are due to the other buildings and the construction materials in your building. I'm looking into a few options for you, but I am leaning toward mounting an outdoor antenna inside, or out the window if they open.

The good news is all your major channels are to the Northwest and pretty strong.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
When you say your having problems getting all the stations, which are you having problems with? Do they happen to be 7 & 9? What antennas have you tried? Lot's of indoor antennas are designed for UHF and don't do well with high VHF (i.e. channels 7 & 9).

MrPogi

Staff member
I think SWHouston is spot on with the Clearstream C1C. It's a bit pricey, but it gives you some good mounting options and it can be used indoors / outdoors, with or without the reflector. About $60 shipped from most suppliers, I would make sure where you buy it has a good return policy.

Google products has reviews and prices / suppliers list HERE:
Antennas Direct ClearStream 1 - HDTV antenna - Indoor / outdoor

SWHouston

Staff member
Pogi,
It would be real nice, if he had a ledge outside one of those North windows, like you implied.
A little spot of Liquid Nail on the bottom of the C1 Mounting Base, and I think he'd be in business.

Last edited:

MrPogi

Staff member
The "C" Series is not advertised for VHF-hi, but, I have one looking at a Real Ch 8, at 63.3 NMdb. and it does very well.
I'm getting rf 8 from a LP station on my U75-r, 42.3 NMdb, about 90 degrees off the front. The U75r is also not listed as VHF, but it does okay.

SWHouston

Staff member
Yes Pogi, I withdrew that comment.
I hadn't looked at the specs for a while, and at one time, they didn't actually say it (the C Series) was ok for UHF-hi. I see that it IS advertised for it now.
Thanks for pointing that out.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I had problems with RF 11 with my U-75R in Palmer Lake, but only because it was 1-edge and we we're 1/8 mile from the up slope of the Colorado front range. Works excellently in Colorado Springs driving multiple tuners.