What is the cheapest yet "Good" Blu-Ray player available

JJackson

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Everytime I'm at Best Buy, I walk by the DVD player section. Just over the past few months I've noticed Blue-Ray DVD players come down to about $299. Is the $199 price range possible before Christmas 2008? I'd love to upgrade now, but I don't want to spend an extra $100 if manufactures are going to lower prices soon.

acwriter

DTVUSA Member
I do the same thing. I recommend waiting until at least the day after Thanksgiving. Keep an eye out for the Black Friday ads for Circuit City, Best Buy, Comp USA, etc. There might be a chance of getting a really good deal on one, then.

I'm not sure about the best cheap Blu-Ray player, but Best Buy online actually has the Insignia Blu-Ray DVD player for $229.99. I'm sure we'll see $199.99 before Christmas, but make sure to keep an eye on the features and reviews! Some people have complained about slow load times once a DVD is loaded on the cheaper Blu-Ray's, and believe it or not, there's actually some picture quality issues too. Good luck, I hope Santa's good to me this year.

Byte24

DTVUSA Member
Prices are definitely dropping now on Blu-Ray players. I like the fact that there's an isle now at BB to select from for Blu-Ray players. There was an article the other day that pointed out that it no longer makes sense to buy a Play Station 3 for the blu-ray drive even if you don't play games.

The problem I see is that, how many people actually have TVs that can display 1080p resolution to get the fully effect of Blu-Ray. I'd say that there's not many.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Prices are definitely dropping now on Blu-Ray players. I like the fact that there's an isle now at BB to select from for Blu-Ray players. There was an article the other day that pointed out that it no longer makes sense to buy a Play Station 3 for the blu-ray drive even if you don't play games.

The problem I see is that, how many people actually have TVs that can display 1080p resolution to get the fully effect of Blu-Ray. I'd say that there's not many.
Blu-Ray drives shouldn't cost more than $150 to the consumer. It'll definitely come down, remember when DVD players first came out? Some were priced at like $500.

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
Yes, they will definitely come down and ACWriter has an excellent point. Look for the day after Thanksgiving sales and I am sure you will find a great deal. I'll be looking out myself as well since I have yet to buy one too.

Prices

I think as we get closer to Christmas the prices will come down. The retail market knows the economy is bad. Every Christmas that I can remember prices have dropped just before and after.

jack

DTVUSA Member
Samsung has now announced a follow-up budget Blu-ray HTIB, the HT-BD2E, and at nearly half the price ($800), it has the potential to be a far more appealing product.