What is your favorite TV scientist/lab assistant?

In just about every cop show, or crime scene investigation, there is that lab worker, or scientist, or whatever that seems to have all the answers, and always finds details the main characters missed. They are a convenient deus ex machina for the detective genre. So who is the favorite.

Mine personally is Rupert Giles, played by Anthony Stewart Head, in Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
That's a good question and one I can't think of an answer to right this minute. I'm sure there is someone; my brain just can't think of him/her.

SamuelB

DTVUSA Member
I have to say Dexter. He's a great character and all the forensics business is fascinating, makes me wish I had chosen my path differently... I guess I'm too stupid for biology though lol. I don't know how he finished because I'm not that far into the series but I don't know how cool a lab geek would have to be to defeat Dexter Morgan.

SWHouston

Staff member
Dr. Cassidy (John Billingsley) in Intelligence, and, when he played Dr. Phlox in Enterprise.
Ok, so maybe it's more the actor than what he plays. :eyes:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Last edited:
It's unusual in that he's already the hero, but Walter White anyone? In the early parts of Breaking Bad, it's all about how Walter's scientific know-how can get he and Jesse out of trouble. In that sense, he's like the new MacGuyver. Another atypical spin on the expert scientist in the detective genre is Agent Albert in Twin Peaks played by Miguel Ferrer. He was better and more meticulous than Cooper but had no people skills to speak of.

You can find a few episodes of the original "Sherman and Peabody" on youtube... but if you have Amazon prime you can watch this collection of 15 episodes free! Mr. Peabody & Sherman - Volume 1

[video=youtube;3E8zmaOiCVw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E8zmaOiCVw&feature=share&list=PLZs0gQed9tMQz598SylLFwuQpJcDCewh7&index=1[/video]
The more I think about it, the vast majority of the Kids Movies we have are OLD LOL! Not many new ideas, just a lot of nostalgic production companies giving new life to old childhood shows/ children's books and sometimes bringing it back to life to kill it I'm not against it but it is an interesting thought.

Everytime I hear "Good news everyone..." I crack up laughing, why is Family Guy still on the air and Futurama is not :( it's a sad world we live in....
I agree. There's a huge science-fiction universe to explore in Futurama and a TV family and small town to flog to death in Family Guy. Although, Futurama didn't do itself any favors by coming back in the form of movies and short-run series. While we're on the subject of animation, Fox shows and scientists...Fessor Frink, Fessor Frink, He'll Make You Laugh, He'll Make You Think, He'll Make You...do the thing with the person.

No one mentioned The Professor on Gilligan's Island?
The weather started getting rough, the tiny ship was tossed. If not for the courage of the fearless crew, the Minnow would be lost. The Minnow would be lost. The ship set ground on the shore of this uncharted desert isle,
with Gilligan, the Skipper too, the Millionaire
and his wife, the movie star, the Professor
and Mary Ann, here on Gilligan's Isle.

I agree. There's a huge science-fiction universe to explore in Futurama and a TV family and small town to flog to death in Family Guy. Although, Futurama didn't do itself any favors by coming back in the form of movies and short-run series. While we're on the subject of animation, Fox shows and scientists...Fessor Frink, Fessor Frink, He'll Make You Laugh, He'll Make You Think, He'll Make You...do the thing with the person.
The series finale was one of the most touching episodes of any show I have ever watched thoough. If it had to go out they did it with the best possible ending they ever could. The movies and early episodes especially pushed the limits of sci-fi television at the time, in the way a cartoon only could. This show will be greatly missed, and fondly remembered.

tmcmeekin

DTVUSA Member
I tend to prefer the procedural shows where the scientists are the stars - Bones, Crossing Jordan. In them, it's the token cop or two who help the scientists, rather than the other way around.

When a scientist takes control of the show and the cops are the side-kicks per-se the show tends to rely on a bunch of fake facts, and bogus "scientific" conclusions, that would not make a shred of sense in the real world. Shows like CSI, Bones, NCIS, and any other half-assed spin-off, are full of bull crap and nonsense that the general public perceives as truth. The prevalence of shows like this is causing a major catastrophe as the line between reality and fiction is being blurred for many uneducated viewers, and shows like this will continue to lower the intelligence levels of general American audiences.