• Internet

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • Print Media

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
Too diversified to give the most.

I would say the Internet, but this includes Radio, Television, and Print sources presence on the Internet.

Probably the AP and Reuters would be the answer that most people would give, if they really dug down deep.

I havent read a print Newspaper in quite some time....online, several daily.

NYCLA*

DTVUSA Member
I would say the Internet, but this includes Radio, Television, and Print sources presence on the Internet.
If you're reading the NY Times website, or visiting CNN's website, those are online sources. By print I mean a physical paper or magazine. By television I mean watching on television on broadcast, cable or satellite. If you listen to a radio station streaming online, that still counts as radio.

EscapeVelocity

Well, my point was that you are making a distinction where there is none.

I also watch news on television, BBC World, Newshour, Sunday News shows....but often I go on the internet and cut to the chase at these sites of what I find interesting or worth my time....not the whole program, passively.

I listen to NPR almost exclusively in the car and that would probably be my most used source, other than the internet. But as I said, I also use the BBC website, political blogs and magazines, Economist, Internationa Herald Tribune (European version of the NYT). And often these political blogs post links to news stories from here there and everywhere.

So...

EscapeVelocity

If you listen to a radio station streaming online, that still counts as radio. --- NYCLA

That doesnt make any sense....given your other proclaimations. But as I said....its way past those cats anymore.

NYCLA*

DTVUSA Member
Well, my point was that you are making a distinction where there is none.
Yes, there is most definitely a distinction. Just ask the NY Times or the L.A. Times or any other print news source for starters. Even they distinguish their web readers from their print readers. A close friend of mine works for the L.A. Times. He used to work in circulation and now does financial forecasting for the paper, and he and I discuss the topic of this poll and in particular as it relates to online vs. print all the time.

Last edited:

NYCLA*

DTVUSA Member
Streaming video from CNN is internet, but streaming audio from a radio station is not.

Doesnt make a lick of sense.
When you listen to a radio station online, it's a simulcast of what's being broadcast over the airwaves. When you watch a video clip on CNN's website, it's not a simulcast of what is being televised by CNN on cable.

Last edited:

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Streaming video from CNN is internet, but streaming audio from a radio station is not.

I'm in partial agreement only if the streaming audio is directly from the radio station and not different content. If I were listening to streaming radio that was not broadcasted originally from FM/AM/HD radio, then I would say it's definitely streaming radio. If that makes sense. ;)

Piggie

Super Moderator

1) To me if a radio station streams 100% of it's content meaning commercials, then to the bottom line of the station it's just like they were on cable (some towns carry FM on their cable).

2) A lot of newspapers give away free content on the net. It's pretty easy to read it and totally skip the ads either mentally or with ad blocking software.

3) Now some sites I have seen make you wade through a 15 to 30 second commercial on their streaming video. This can be ignored but not stopped, so it's not unlike waiting for the commercials at the top of the hour before a show begins. I believe one can debate how effective this is on ad revenue.

===

My conclusion, using the numbered paragraphs above.

1) One has to have internet so they are listen yes. But it's no different than cable TV as far as the sponsors are concerned.

2) They blew it and shoot their own feet for waiting this long to charge for content, just like they did with their print. Most other sites like magazines charge for detailed content already. I don't know if it's too late. So many will get upset as loosing reading the NYT for example free.

3) I really don't know about this model. But it does mimic TV shows with an ad before the content begins. But they are short clips, so that doesn't mimic watching a 30 minute news cast. This is somewhat new way to deliver news. They may break a 30 minute news cast into several videos.

Also I think newspapers really blew this because subscription rates could have been much lower for online than print. The devices such as the Orwellian Kindle can get away with charging for news papers, being a restricted media, so this type of delivery may save daily written news. Face it they can't go on forever giving it away free.

EscapeVelocity

Well, that is a whole different discussion.

Its pretty obvious that a lot of media are going to fold as the interent is such a broadening of bandwidth and delivery, that breaks down barriers to competition, so there will be a lot of fat trimming coming.

WSJ, has the right of it. Content will be king, namely quality and unique content. Reprinting AP stories and adding a few local stories isnt going to cut it. There will be niche for smaller news players, though as they will be unique content.

I stopped watching the Fox News feed because of all the never-ending 'Swine Flu EEK! we're all gonna die' crap.

....and i only turned it on as a 'filler' before Frasier, which is gone now on MyNetworkTV at my end (in favor of none other than TMZ), and for the humourous Ron Rhoads 'Funky Fruit' segments. lord knows he can't tell weather for beans! oh and the entertaining and still-present subliminal advertising.

Internet-

because the MSM is owned by a handful of men that decide what is BEST for you to know....a few online sources I use are DailyPaul(it's a forum but there are lots of links to check out) and roguegovernment.