What kind of cable should I use for TV Antenna?



I need to run a cable from my TV antenna to my TV and of all the cables in my house, nothing seems to match up to the input or output. What cabling should I use for a TV antenna? Any help would be greatly appreciated.


Staff member
You will want to use RG6 coax cable (black quad shield is best). If your antenna only has 300 ohm (twin lead) connections you will need a balun or matching transformer that looks something like this:

You can get pre-cut lengths of RG6 at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Best Buy etc. If you want to make custom lengths I highly recommend getting a compression F-connector tool and connectors. Other push on and screw on types almost always fail, and the crimp type are subject to moisture problems.


Staff member
When I saw the title of this question, I was thinking that the OP might have that twin-lead (300-ohm) connection on the back of their antenna, but dkreichen1968 covered the answer pretty well already.

Only thing I can add is, if you need a balun to convert your twin lead, go with a push-on F type. Easy to install.

Similar threads