What outdoor roof antenna should I be looking for?

firsttimothy67

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Hello,
I'm currently using a homemade bowtie type antenna that you see plans for all over the net. It's inside along the north window. It's ok but certain main channels break up a lot. I would like to get the most i can, so I am looking for advice about roof top antenna's. It is a flat roof and I can see for miles west,north, and east.

I get abc, cbs well but nbc, fox break up a lot.

TvFool 25ft up:
TV Fool

I've read alittle about using a db2 or cm 4220 with a pre-amp, but I honestly don't know what I'm looking at.

Thanks in advance,
David :)

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I get abc, cbs well but nbc, fox break up a lot.
NBC and FOX are coming in from the southeast, so the fact that they break up doesn't surprise me. And since your on the north side it doesn't surprise me that ABC and CBS come in well since they come from the northwest. Once you get above roof top you will be fine.

You have really hot signals, so a preamp would probably harm not help your reception.

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Good signal strength, but 3 VHF-hi (8, 9, 10) and your main stations are almost 180 degrees apart.

I think maybe another home brew would be in order: A 2 or 4 bay, with longer bowties to get the VHF-hi. Probably no reflector would be best. Construct it out of durable materials (Plexiglas or PVC pipe, and 10 guage copper for the bowties), and you should be good.

Forget the preamp. Your signals are too strong. If you are going to go into more than 2 TV sets, I'd suggest a 4 bay rather than 2.

Last edited:
The Winegard 1080 would be a good choice since it pick's up VHF from the back of the antenna better than the front. Avoid a preamp with such strong signals. If you need to split to multiple sets, a Channel Master 34xx series distribution amp would be an excellent choice.

MrPogi

Staff member
The Winegard 1080 would be a good choice since it pick's up VHF from the back of the antenna better than the front. Avoid a preamp with such strong signals. If you need to split to multiple sets, a Channel Master 34xx series distribution amp would be an excellent choice.
Nice pick, and the price is right - $29. I did notice though, it has almost no gain on the backside in the UHF:
http://www.winegarddirect.com/pdf/hd-1080-spec.pdf

Last edited:
I've read a little about using a db2 or cm 4220 with a pre-amp, but I honestly don't know what I'm looking at.
Those are fine choices for UHF, but you have VHF stations at a unique azimuth. Add a Y5-7-13 and a UVSJ to either antenna and you should be fine. You won't need a preamp.

You're also in a location that might get some of the LA stations if you wanted to. It would take large antennas and a overload resistant preamp.

Ok so no pre-amp

ms1000 or a hd1080? The difference is $40.

Is that a well spent $40? or is there not going to be a big difference in the two antenna's?

Would the 1080 still pick up the both majors signals 180degrees apart?

dkreichen1968

Staff member
If your not worried about the signals coming in at 180 degrees (south) the HD 1080 would work fine. If you want any of those channels you may be better off with the Metrostar.

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
The HD1080 is an excellent idea.

Im going to throw out the AntennaCraft G1483 as an alternative. Low F/B ratio across much of the UHF band, with some gain at VHF High frequecies worth noting.

There is also the Terk HDTVo which has bi directional gain on VHF High.

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: David

Your TVFOOL is VERY promising because it's great compared to many others. At this time, I have nothing technical to add to the good advise given above, except to say GO FOR IT! I wish my own TVFOOL report and others I have worked with had similar reports.

Please keep us updated.

Jim

Thanks Guys,
I ordered the 1080. Can't wait to see what it's like. I looked up the 180 degree channels and they are spanish. I tell you if I knew spanish I would have 10+ more channels right now without the new antenna coming.

Next is figuring out which box I should get for the TV. boxee/wd live/revue/roku/apple/wii/360 and I think there are more...

MrPogi

Staff member
My choice for your "BOX" would be a Media Center computer, it does it all. Only drawback is it isn't as easy as "pointing the remote", it's still a computer. But the internet providers have been blocking the set top boxes as of late, they don't block a computer attached to your big screen.

If you decide that a box is easier / more user friendly, Xbox is good, but you have to pay a yearly fee for Xbox Live. That gets you ESPN3, by the way. PS3 is a good choice, esp. if you need a Blu-Ray. Membership in the Playstation Network is free. Both those boxes get you Netflix, (but I think, not HULU Free, not sure about HULU+) and they add gaming to your entertainment.

As for non- game boxes, I'll defer to those more knowlegable on the forum.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
My choice for your "BOX" would be a Media Center computer, it does it all. Only drawback is it isn't as easy as "pointing the remote", it's still a computer.
But, if you get a wireless mouse and keyboard it's almost like having a remote. I stream stuff off the net all the time, and my bud has a Media Center computer that he uses as a DVR and for streaming. Works well. I'm sure it would work better with a HDMI and a HDTV.

Last edited:
My choice for your "BOX" would be a Media Center computer, it does it all. Only drawback is it isn't as easy as "pointing the remote", it's still a computer. But the internet providers have been blocking the set top boxes as of late, they don't block a computer attached to your big screen.

If you decide that a box is easier / more user friendly, Xbox is good, but you have to pay a yearly fee for Xbox Live. That gets you ESPN3, by the way. PS3 is a good choice, esp. if you need a Blu-Ray. Membership in the Playstation Network is free. Both those boxes get you Netflix, (but I think, not HULU Free, not sure about HULU+) and they add gaming to your entertainment.

As for non- game boxes, I'll defer to those more knowlegable on the forum.
Yeah I was thinking a game system.
But I think once these type boxes or internet TV starts improving more sites will try to charge fees. Like Hulu is free online but if you have a box, they block it or charge on some. Eventually maybe they will come around when other people open up more free sites for the same thing. I mean people have been tring different versions of internet TV for years with no real huge sucess. We'll See...

firsttimothy67,

Is this what your screen name is a reference to: "For we brought nothing into the world, and we certainly can't carry anything out."
=) Yes, it is.

But, if you get a wireless mouse and keyboard it's almost like having a remote. I stream stuff off the net all the time, and my bud has a Media Center computer that he uses as a DVR and for streaming. Works well. I'm sure it would work better with a HDMI and a HDTV.
That is what google tv is trying to do with less range of the internet. Keyboard with touch pad. Also your smart phone can control it. It's just user friendly and cleaner looking. I hook up my laptop(HDMI) to my HDTV and watch movies/shows. It's just not as convient as a box that stays there hooked up all the time. I mainly want to do it for my family, all they do on the net is check mail and facebook and then we could get netflix and not wait for mail. I heard red box might be going online too.

Last edited: