What resolution does a converter box output?

@home

DTVUSA Rookie
I've searched high and low on the net for over-the-air resolution output from a digital-to-analog converter box. Are digital broadcasts down converted to 480i or 480p?

I would think it's 480p since I receive a better picture through my s-video - channel master box, but I have no idea??? Does the resolution make a difference if I use RCA or s-video cord? :confused:

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
The CECBs are down converted to 480i. You will get a better picture if you are able to connect using the S-Video over the composite cable. There are some HD converter boxes available but not coupon eligible.

Digital broadcasts can be 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i. The government subsidized boxes only do 480i which is standard definition.

It's like the same resolution of a regular DVD. 720x486 for a rough estimate.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Standard Definition TV (SDTV) - SDTV is the basic level of quality display and resolution for both analog and digital. Transmission of SDTV may be in either the traditional (4:3) or widescreen (16:9) format and consists of 480 interlaced lines of resolution.

Enhanced Definition TV (EDTV) - EDTV is a step up from analog television and Standard Definition digital television. EDTV comes in widescreen (16:9) or traditional (4:3) format and provides 480 progressively scanned lines of resolution. This is approximately twice as much resolution as SDTV and is the format most often found on DVDs.

High Definition TV (HDTV) - HDTV in widescreen format (16:9) provides the highest resolution and picture quality of all digital broadcast formats. It consists of either 1080 interlaced or 720 progressively scanned lines of resolution and includes the ability to transmit digital surround sound.

Source: The Digital TV Transition: FAQs - Consumer Corner - General Questions