What resolution is atsc m/h broadcasted at?

CadDad

DTVUSA Member
I'm of the impression that there will only be one signal broadcasted for atsc m/h. What res will it be broadcasted at?

I guess it'll be the same no matter what size display you have :confused:

CadDad

DTVUSA Member
416x240.

Multiple video feeds can be transmitted via ATSC-M/H, depending on the amount of bandwidth dedicated to it.

- Trip
you're quick Trip! thanks for the info. So no matter what choice one decides to go with for screen size, 416x240 will always be the res. I'm questioning whether mobile laptop atsc m/h cards are going to be a good idea.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
It's possible to go to higher resolution, but as I recall, there's some reason why it's either not a great option or there's some kind of flaw. I don't remember the specifics, but I think 416x240 is where most of the current tech will be.

- Trip

O-O

DTVUSA Member
416x240.

Multiple video feeds can be transmitted via ATSC-M/H, depending on the amount of bandwidth dedicated to it.

- Trip
you're quick Trip! thanks for the info. So no matter what choice one decides to go with for screen size, 416x240 will always be the res. I'm questioning whether mobile laptop atsc m/h cards are going to be a good idea.
It's possible to go to higher resolution, but as I recall, there's some reason why it's either not a great option or there's some kind of flaw. I don't remember the specifics, but I think 416x240 is where most of the current tech will be.

- Trip
I had never even though about this with what the OP is asking, but ATSC-M/H is going to look really bad on a high resolution screen like a computer lcd isn't it?

From the Open Mobile Coalition website: Open Mobile Video Coalition - About Mobile DTV - Mobile DTV 101

"Video quality - Delivering one or more compelling, high-quality mobile/handheld video programs that provide excellent viewing experiences using H.264 base profile video encoding now, and even better resolution (up to 480p) in the future."

A pdf file explains further: http://www.openmobilevideo.com/objects/docs/ATSCMobileDTV-12-12-08.pdf

"The total bandwidth needed for the ATSC Mobile DTV service depends on several factors, including the number and type of program services, the quality level, and level of robustness desired—typically ranging from less than one megabit per second to many megabits per second." and further on...."The ATSC Mobile DTV system uses MPEG-4 AVC and optionally SVC video coding as described in ISO/IEC 14496 Part 10, with certain constraints. A single base format of 240 lines x 416 pixels, 16:9 aspect ratio, progressive scan, is specified, with the ability to increase the resolution or quality through use of the SVC option."

From some of the pictures I've seen of the output, I don't think there will be a problem viewing the ATSC-Mobile output on a laptop scaled full screen. It won't be HD (or SD) quality, but I'll bet it will be comparable to OTA analog reception. The full pdf indicates broadcasters can scale up the quality in the future.

O-O

DTVUSA Member
From some of the pictures I've seen of the output, I don't think there will be a problem viewing the ATSC-Mobile output on a laptop scaled full screen. It won't be HD (or SD) quality, but I'll bet it will be comparable to OTA analog reception. The full pdf indicates broadcasters can scale up the quality in the future.
Exciting, and thank you for sharing. Can't wait. :)

R

Richard Driskill

The correct answer

Actually, ATSC-M/H can have 4 resolutions, dependant on the broadcaster's selection. There is a reason it (A/153) is designated "M/H" ...for Mobile -or- Handheld

Horizontal Handheld resolution [landscape]: 240p x 416 (base native resolution), near WQVGA and 15.6:9 AR
Vertical Handheld resolution [portrait]: 288p x 352, CIF resolution and 9:11 AR
Mobile resolution 1: 360p x 624 [1.5 x native], near EGA resolution and 15.6:9 AR
Mobile resolution 2: 480p x 832 [2.0 x native], near WVGA resolution and 15.6:9 AR

The maximum data rate is 5.056 Mbps, the maximum reception speed is roughly 65 mph, the RF impedance is 50 ohms (not 75), and the code rate is 1/4 or 1/2