What should I do ?

Nick S.

DTVUSA Rookie
Today I went to Best Buy and purchased two DTV converter boxes. In addition to the two coupons I had to pay $48.86 additional. When I returned home my wife said that the value of each card is $40.00 and I didn't have to pay anything. I find out now that Best Buy only carries a higher quality converter box and that's why the extra cost. I returned to the store and returned the two boxes and got my $48.86 back. However, they could not return the two government issued cards because they were already possessed. Now they have $80.00 of my money that they will not return to me. The government letter containing the two cards says that they cannot be replaced. What should I do, if anything ?

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Nick,

I was ready to come to the rescue on this one considering the circumstance...until I read this,

located at the government's website:

63. If I used the coupon to buy a TV converter box and then return it for credit with the retailer, can I use that credit for any other purchase at the retailer?

You will not be able to receive cash or credit for the coupon amount, but you can receive cash or credit for any amount you paid out of pocket, if the store policy permits returns or exchanges.
This statement sound a bit more pomising,

64. Can I exchange my TV converter box for another one?

If the retail store permits exchanges, you can exchange the converter you purchased for another coupon-eligible converter box.
You may want to go back to the store and demand to talk to a manager. The store has made $80.00 in profit off since the coupon's have been redeemed, and meanwhile...you have nothing to show for it.​

Unfortunately, the ball is in their court with this one...especially with the government website making a clarification about what happens with converter box returns.​

Another option would be to actually pay the difference again for those two converter boxes and atleast getting some value for your money, instead of having to purchase two more new converter boxes priced at $40-$50 each.​

Either way, it doesn't seem fair.​

Harry

DTVUSA Rookie
Hi this is Harry and needing help as to the next step in using the $40 coupon for the converter box. The card would not scan and therefore was showing not valid. Does anyone know how to get around this or to advise the retailer how to use the cards? Is there a specific set of #s to place in the scan place? Thank you for any and all help. I thought the idea to start early would be pain free! Ha ha Harry

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Hi this is Harry and needing help as to the next step in using the $40 coupon for the converter box. The card would not scan and therefore was showing not valid. Does anyone know how to get around this or to advise the retailer how to use the cards? Is there a specific set of #s to place in the scan place? Thank you for any and all help. I thought the idea to start early would be pain free! Ha ha Harry
Hi Harry, it's sad to hear that strores are having problems redeeming perfectly good converter box coupons.

What is your converter box coupon's expiration date?

Which retailer did you go to?

I would suggest trying to go to another retail store and trying again. I've tried numerous times to contact the government regarding general converter box coupon questions, and I haven't been able to reach anyone...so if you've sent them any correspondance, you might not get an answer back by the time your coupon card expires.

shug

DTVUSA Rookie
Hello
I tried the automated voice for ordering two TV converter box coupons last week.
It didn't understand the name and spelling so after three tries, it referred me to the 888 number. This week I tried it again, and it was not accepted because I was already in the system for ordering a coupon. Do you think I really am, and how can I check to make sure that I will be getting the coupons?
Thank you for this service. It is much appreciated after hunting a long time for a real person. (I understood from the call I tried to make yesterday that I could ask questions from consumerreport@DTV2009.gov I got the mail back as undeliverable.
shug