What sub-channel do you wish you had, but don't?

Geez, I thought you NY guys had all of the channels. ;) Wish we had Universal Sports Network. Not that I'd watch Olympics stuff all of the time, but it would be something different than the usual.

Trip

Moderator, Webmaster of Rabbit Ears
Staff member
Well, now I'm at school in Charlottesville, where WHTJ is on a powerful UHF signal and never misses a beat.

At home, absolutely. PBS remains a royal pain.

- Trip

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Id like to see more networks get into OTA.

TNT
TBS
Sci Fi
USA
Fox FX

that type of thing.
That would be awesome. If that doesn't happen down the road then maybe there will be other new ota networks with similar themes.

I'd also like to see a travel channel that focuses on destinations in the USA instead of the rest of the world.

As far as what's available now, see my signature... :)

NYCLA*

DTVUSA Member
ESPN? Does that count?

ThisTV

RTV

Accuweather Channel or The Weather Channel

ION

Universal Sports (but Id rathe have ESPN)

List of United States over-the-air television networks

Id like to see more networks get into OTA.

TNT
TBS
Sci Fi
USA
Fox FX

that type of thing.
Never happening. Those cable channels get revenue not only from advertising, but from fees charged to the cable companies per subscriber. The ad revenue is not enough to sustain the channel, hence free OTA reception of ESPN or any of the others just isn't going to happen. If those channels were available free over the air, people would drop cable and the subscriber fees would disappear. Sports channels especially are one of the biggest cable revenue producers.

NYCLA*

DTVUSA Member
That would be awesome. If that doesn't happen down the road then maybe there will be other new ota networks with similar themes.
ION is going to develop more and more over time and already gives me a feeling of being like the TNT of broadcast television. This past weekend they did a "Clint Eastwood Weekend" which was a marathon of "Dirty Harry" movies.

Last edited:
Any CW affiliate. i can barely reach WBKO-CW from Bowling Green but only in the dawn hours when there's nothing on but paid-programming. and then only on the Apex in the bedroom.

I'd love one because then i could watch American Dad, Family Guy, and King of the Hill everyday, instead of every week. and the Dead Zone, Friends, the list goes on. Roseanne, Cosby Show, Ghost Whisperer....

WAZE-TV is gone, and was our only CW affiliate in the market.

Trip

Moderator, Webmaster of Rabbit Ears
Staff member
I know. I have both seasons. :D

I'm just lazy.

(By the way, The Inheritors is my favorite episode.)

- Trip

Piggie

Super Moderator
Never happening. Those cable channels get revenue not only from advertising, but from fees charged to the cable companies per subscriber. The ad revenue is not enough to sustain the channel, hence free OTA reception of ESPN or any of the others just isn't going to happen. If those channels were available free over the air, people would drop cable and the subscriber fees would disappear. Sports channels especially are one of the biggest cable revenue producers.
I agree completely, they have no desire to move to lower revenue source.

Plus, where would they put them. Every time this comes up, seems everyone forgets there is a finite amount of channels with a finite amount of bandwidth. So in a sense it's yet another topic, as ties directly into giving away too many UHF channels and content vs quality.

I think the OP had in mind which channels others already receive in other towns would one like in their town as well. Since the major subchannel players already have homes in many markets, often on the same main programs channels, there is most likely room in a lot of towns to expand the existing gamut of sub channel networks.

=======

I would love have

Accuweather
ThisTV
Retro
Ion and it's subs.

That would take at least 2 new transmitters in our town. Ion alone fills an RF channel. The other three are all SD and would take another with a channel or 2 in addition available.

Eureka

DTVUSA Member
We get two RTV channels and two CW channels via OTA. The RTVs are the "dash-1" primary channel on KPBI & KWBM . The CWs are "dash-2" SD sub channels , on KYTV & KHOG.

I watch RTV a lot more than CW.

CW had shows RTV did not. RTV doesn't yet carry Roseanne, Cosby Show, George Lopez, Family Guy and King of the Hill (latter two every weeknight. currently i only get them weekly via Fox's Animation Domination segment)

RTV got me really upset though when they took off the 10PM saturday night broadcast reruns of a show known as 'The Black Sheep Squadron' in favor of a cut-rate load of feldercarb called 'Midnight Monster Hop' i hoped was only temporary or a misplaced October feed meant for Halloween yet keeps going. they did that change without noting it on their rather simplistic Website myretrotv.com after the rebranding from RTN to RTV and to add further insult they still list 'Black Sheep Squadron' as a show they carry, when it's no longer aired.

Finally, Midnight Monster Hop was created in 2006; hardly Retro TV. it also cuts off the beautiful ending theme to Battlestar Galactica. "Freed from cylon tyranny, the last battlestar, Galac-Welllllcome to Castle Blood's Midnight Monster Hop!!!!"

And it's not even close to Midnight, either. 10PM CDT is not even Midnight on the Eastern side.

Last edited: