What Television commercials irritate you?

With more commercial time on Television now than ever before, you are sure to see way more irritating commercials than you would like to.

Are there any particular television commercials which tend to drive you up the wall?

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I actually like the Progressive gal. I don't like that Welch's juice one with the slurping. It annoys me a lot. The GoDaddy ones I don't like either.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Annoying Commercial? You betcha.

Currently no commercials bother me in particular but I may be personally immune.

However ... there was one local TV commercial back in the mid-80s that was a HOT one for me and it was carried on several channels at the same time. :mad: No escape.

A local business was advertising new and (particularly) their used cars and aside from being written and designed to be obnoxious and annoying to everyone from the start, the loud mouth ended it with a "motivational talk": "Why haven't you come in to see our fleet ... where are you? ... are you legally dead?" ... "Come and see our cars at ... "

... and, my WW2 Vet Dad dying from cancer with his TV set on 24-7 literally had to hear that commercial repeated at least hourly for seven full months over and over and over and over until he finally died. (He didn't have a TV with a remote control).

I called the Dealership and the TV Stations that telecast it to lodge complaints and no one cared. I called The American Cancer Society to see if they would help stop it and no one there cared at all.

Yeah, this will always be a hot button for me. Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Jim

I think the commercials that irritate me the most are:

a few of the Geico commercials, the Free Credit Report commercials, and all those annoying commercials aimed at ripping off seniors whenever I watch TV Land.

SWHouston

Staff member
Virizon Communications. – Poor example of Parenting.

Virizon Communications. – Poor example of Parenting.
They must think it’s funny, showing a Parent dooping his kids into anything, much less going where he won’t go.
Why couldn't they show a Parent being the first one out the door with a Shovel, LEADING his kids to do the right/needed thing, instead of LYING to them about services which they already had, and didn’t know about.
But, I can do something about that, I got a button on my Remote, and when I see ANYTHING Virizon advertises, I just press that little button, and I don’t have to watch their pathetic approach to advertising.

Have a good Day ! :)
S.W.

IMHO:
Some/many of these post get listed via Google and other Bots which search out key words like Virizon, I'm going to be putting the company name as the title on each post/complaint I make, just in case someone's listening out there.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I love that free credit report song. It's very catchy and I think some of what they do is pretty funny. The motivational thing mentioned above reminds me of that weird guy who walks around in the suit with dollar signs on it. He just screeches.

SWHouston

Staff member
Chevrolet Truck – General Motors – A cheap shot toward the infirmed

Chevrolet Truck – General Motors – A cheap shot toward the infirmed.

I wonder if those jerks in the Advertising Department of GM understand the convenience of having a retractable step on the Tailgate of a Pickup.
The fact that they call it a “Man Step”, is degrading and insulting to those who like myself, find that of considerable convenience considering my age. Others with limited physical capabilities would be well off to buy a Ford product, if only to have that available.
Anytime now I see Chevy Pickups or Mr. Howie on the TV, I just press that little button on my remote control, and I may remember to come back to that channel in a day or two.

S.W.

bm42

DTVUSA Member
bad commercials

Even though I am a customer of Geico, I thought the caveman commercials were ridiculous and then on top of that they tried to do a TV show of the cavemen characters. I guess the producers of commercials and TV think we are idiots.

On the other hand, the new Geico commercials where they show an almost "James Bond" person comes on asking if Geico can save you money and then says things like "can Charlie Daniels play a mean fiddle? These are good commercials.

The progressive insurance commercials use of a woman that I would not trust for information are pretty poorly done.

SWHouston

Staff member
BM,

You stole my thunder ! :D
Geico was the next one I was going to dump on !

A James Bond type...
I met a Rancher just outside of Marfa Texas one time, that looked and talked just like him.

Subtle (presumptuous) things like...
The act of destroying the hair in that Violin Bow, and snatching a Bread Stick from the seated couple, just rub me the wrong way for some reason.

S.W.

Oh, I can't believe that I forgot to mention this before!

But yes I really really HATE when some commercials are a lot louder than the show I was watching, and I also HATE when commercials decide to use these really really annoying songs like Pop Punk or Emo or other garbage like that.

bm42

DTVUSA Member
I find the Geico caveman commercials as just not that funny if funny was intended. The progressive girl I think is not a good person as the front for the company, does not impress me as someone i would trust for information--not to bright?

Some commercials that really seem fairly funny or clever at first become more and more annoying and grating, after having to see them hundreds of times a day!

Of course that isn't completely the commercials fault, just a fault with how many times commercials get repeated every day.