What to look for when buying an HDTV?

ImaBee

DTVUSA Rookie
Been out of the home theater scene for some time now. At least 5 years or so since I bought an HD TV. I know I want at least a 1080p resolution. What else do I need to know before I go to Best Buy this weekend? :dunce:

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
Almost every well known brand has good sets. Look at inputs, you want a lot of HDMI inputs.

Plasma is good for dark rooms with large dialated eyes (better than LCD), but not as good in full daylight. As a dedicated movie machine in light controlled environment, Plasma is still king (although I prefer front projection at that point for larger screen size). So LCD is probably the way to go for most consumers. Samsung and Sony are tops....but any other well known name brand is very good too....like Sharp, Toshiba, Mitsubishi, JVC and LG. Watch out because Samsung, LG, Panasonic have Plasma models as well.

Buy somewhere with a good return policy.....so if you get a dead pixel or screen aberrations like uneven illumination, no problems.

The average consumer really cant go too wrong. The tech has matured.

Last edited:

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I'd stay away from anything with 3D technology but then again that's just my opinion. 3D is in its infancy stages yet and the technology could change drastically over the next few years.

EV covered you pretty well. I'd also recommend Mitsubishi as a TV maker.

n2rj

Staff member
What else do I need to know before I go to Best Buy this weekend? :dunce:
I wouldn't recommend Best buy. I bought one HDTV from them and it was wayyyy overpriced. I would go with Amazon or Costco instead. Costco in particular has a 90 day return policy on TVs.

ImaBee

DTVUSA Rookie
Does Amazon deliver to a house? I would expect that shipping costs would add too much to the cost of the TV even if it is a good deal?

Thank you all for your help. I think a LCD is the one for me. I have about $900 to spend so I hope it's enough. I want at least a 36" TV.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: ImaBee,

I did hours of online research before I bought my Sony Bravia from an eBay super-seller-Store (free freight, no 10% State sales tax) and one important point is how well the set reproduces the color black. My online research was verified when I recently went to Sears and compared sets in their darkened showroom. Several of the sets version of 'black' is more like a deep charcoal gray. I suggest you physically walk up to various brands/models of sets and compare them before you buy ... you may be as surprised as I was.

Jim

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
:welcome: ImaBee,

I did hours of online research before I bought my Sony Bravia from an eBay super-seller-Store (free freight, no 10% State sales tax) and one important point is how well the set reproduces the color black. My online research was verified when I recently went to Sears and compared sets in their darkened showroom. Several of the sets version of 'black' is more like a deep charcoal gray. I suggest you physically walk up to various brands/models of sets and compare them before you buy ... you may be as surprised as I was.

Jim
Jim, what exactly is a "super-seller-store"? Is it ratings based or based on their number of quantities sold? I'm always weary of eBay sellers that can discount electronics like TVs and DVD players. Like the stuff is hot or something. ;)

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Aaron,

Based on my trust of a best buddy from 5th grade up, who was an eBay Power-seller store (or whatever they call, it) he told me it is based on sales numbers (usually in the thousands or ten thousands) their positive feedback is perfect (or almost perfect 99+%) and they are usually 'brick and mortor' genuine stores as his was. He died two years ago in an unfair accident: (50 mph car VS bicycle) ... RATS. That's why I used the word 'was'.

Before I bought the Bravia, he assured me if I purchased from someone with that 'status' I could be expect my purchase would be handled quickly, professionally and without problems ... and that was my experience: fast and perfect. I chose (seller recommended) to add shipping insurance for about $75. Ultimately, I saved over $600 on my Bravia over the best local prices by buying it online.

That's free market enterprise at work! Cut taxes and watch business take off! It worked for JFK! (Now, Washington State wants to add an income tax on top of our 10% sales tax and Obama's potential VAT.) ... geez ... that makes me want to open my wallet. NOT!

*Disclaimer: Per your question, I do not know the exact eBay requirements to qualify a seller to be 'promoted' to the 'super' level. My guess is eBay has that information on a link at their home page. I can only report my personal experience.

Jim