What Type of HDTV has the Lowest Energy Usage?

dkreichen1968

Staff member
What type of HDTV has the lowest energy usage? LED, LCD, Plasma?

I have friends who are planning on moving off grid, and they would like to have a TV with a 19" or larger screen that uses as little energy as possible. Actually, 12 Volt DC operation would be preferable since otherwise they will need to use an inverter.

Any thoughts?

Dan

n2rj

Staff member
LED most definitely by about 20% compared to regular LCDs which use cold cathode fluorescent lamps.

Plasmas are definitely power hogs. In fact I think many of them burn more power than CRTs. That is why the Gov't wants so badly to regulate them.

I have a LED and a LCD TV I can compare. It won't be a fair fight since the LED is 32 inch vs the LCD which is 52 inch but it should give you an idea. I've measured almost a kilowatt of power consumption when all my a/v gear in the bedroom including the 52 inch LCD is on.

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I found the Haier line of LED TVs are 12 volts - see the image of inputs at this link:
Haier HL22XSL2 Black 22-Inch Ultra Slim LED LCD HDTV

12 V is not documented in the ad, but the panel shows DC in, and one of the comments remarks on it as 12v and great for the RV. I don't know what the energy draw is, you could look for the manuals online for specs. There is a grid on the page to compare different sizes / models - they appear to available from 19 to 42". Lots of nice features and the price on the 22" is decent, under $200, and the 32 is under $700! (white only) I may have to buy one for my back up system.