What

Taki

DTVUSA Member
If you could build the cable company of your dreams, what would you want from that company. I would want:

1 - The ability to choose what channels I wanted and build my own package. Channels should cost anywhere from $1-$2 a month for anything other than sports or new movie channels. Those should go for $5 each.

2 - Unlimted bandwidth highspeed internet in the 50mbps speed range with upgrades planned for 100mbps in the next 2 years.

3 - Service and Tech people who speak English.

4 - Under no circumstances will I pay to call tech support. I am not an idiot. I do not waste my time calling for something I can fix. If I call, its something the company is going to have to fix and I don't want to waste an hour on the phone convincing you this is so. And I don't plan on paying you for the priviledge of getting you to fix your equipment either.

I think that about covers it. what about you?

illytodd

DTVUSA Member
I think the tech people speaking English is pretty funny! I think I would want to be able to chose my channels, have really clear picture quality and the option to change my packages whenever I wanted to.

camogirl

DTVUSA Jr. Member
AMEN! I can not stand paying outrageous prices for TV and I don't even watch it much! As far as the tech people who speak English, well with this new company I have, so far I've ONLY had people who speak English. I'm amazed! ANYTIME I ever had to called DirectTv, I swear I'd have to ask to speak with someone who spoke English at LEAST twice per call!

dreamr802

DTVUSA Member
I would want ONE fixed rate so then I know what my bill is going to be every month, no surprises like I've had for the past couple of months with my service

Taki

DTVUSA Member
I just get rude with the Indian reps. I think its funny when they reply that they speak perfect English. And that they might, but they don't speak American! :D

acwriter

DTVUSA Member
Hey Taki,
If you could go ahead and get started on that cable company, I would love to sign-up. You hit all four of my major points, as well. I would just love to be your customer. ;o)

LOL in regards to Indian customer service... well, we have Bell (in Canada) and their customer service centre is based in India. We get so ticked off when we have to phone them, it's NEVER easy. The one time, my mom got fed up and said "I can't understand you!" and the guy said "I can't understand you either!" xD We also have this totally annoying Indian Parakeet that makes the most horrible noises... well she started squawking in the background one time, and the person (again, from India) said "that is such a beautiful sound." HA

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
If you could build the cable company of your dreams, what would you want from that company. I would want:

1 - The ability to choose what channels I wanted and build my own package. Channels should cost anywhere from $1-$2 a month for anything other than sports or new movie channels. Those should go for $5 each.

2 - Unlimted bandwidth highspeed internet in the 50mbps speed range with upgrades planned for 100mbps in the next 2 years.

3 - Service and Tech people who speak English.

4 - Under no circumstances will I pay to call tech support. I am not an idiot. I do not waste my time calling for something I can fix. If I call, its something the company is going to have to fix and I don't want to waste an hour on the phone convincing you this is so. And I don't plan on paying you for the priviledge of getting you to fix your equipment either.

I think that about covers it. what about you?
Great post Taki, I would love to build my own service with only about 15 channels. Local channels should be free of course.

Bundled services are always nice, but at a huge discount!

I spend close to $150 a month on TV, internet, and phone. Way too much, and if the economy keeps getting wore, (2) of these services will definitely get downgraded.

acwriter

DTVUSA Member
Aaron, I was just thinking that very same thing today. We don't really need Stars and Encore, we don't really watch them. We don't really need the service in the kids room. If I downgrade those two things we could save $20 a month. Right now, every little bit adds up.

Taki

DTVUSA Member
Alas, I don't have the money to develop a nationwide cable brand that offers these services.

I can suggest this to you. You know what you want, start talking about it. Tell your cable company what they want. If you get someone who will be honest with you they will tell you they can't do this because of the contract they hold with the various owners of all the channels. Many channels would not survive because no one wants them. I can think of the 25 home shopping channels off the top of my head. And about 50% of the sporting channels could go as well.

One of the huge problems with this idea is the content owners would not cooperate. The ESPN channels pitched a fit when Direct TV planned on switching them to a higher priced tier of service and lowering the price of that tier by whatever price they were lowering it to save people who do not like sports some money. Considering that ESPN gets about $12 for each month from each account this would have cost them a heck of a lot of money for the consumer to have the choice of sports, or no sports.

Content providers are not interested in us having it our own way. We need to show them that we will have it our own way or we won't watch at all.

One example I am working on right now is an ABC show called Legend of the Seeker. This is just about the only hit show that ABC is not offering on its website for instant viewing. Oh its available on Itunes for $2.99 a episode or $44.99 for the whole season.

I wrote ABC and told them I will not by buying it on Itunes for that crazy price, I'll rent it from Netflix with my $13.99 a month subscription when it comes out on DVD. I just refuse to cooperate with these companies and brands that think they can charge us a fortune for content. In my heart I hope the series lasts because its the first fantasy series on a non-cable network in years. In my mind I hope it bombs because the watchers rebel against them by telling them " So sorry, I would have watched if it had been available to me in a format online so I could have watched when I had time. Oh your selling it on Itunes? How much? $44.99 for the season. ARE YOU FREAKING CRAZY? That is as much as my monthly cable bill. Sorry you can keep it. I won't pay. "

I won't mind paying a little extra to get good service. Life is very busy and stressful these days, cable setup provides us with good amount of entertainment.I think cable companies should do their job in the best possible manner.

My Cable

If it was my company I would allow my customers to choose their channel package at a moderate price,(cable is too expensive). I would also have free movie and sport nights. I would have excellent customer service, and quick repair service. What else could I ask for?:)

jack

DTVUSA Member
technicians know english,so there will be no problem in that.packages should be differentiated properly and it should be worth for people.mainly clarity is important .