What's going to happen to cable and satellite providers after the transition?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
The way the FCC explains it, it sounds like cable and satellite companys can transition at any time after June 12 and force you to rent a cable or satellite set top box. I also noticed that they (FCC) have removed information from their website about the digital transition for cable/satellite providers which I thought was June 12. What's up with that?

Can Cable Companies Make it Mandatory to Subscribe?

If a cable company makes the business decision to go all-digital, it must ensure that its analog customers can continue to watch their local broadcast stations. This may require some customers to get a set-top box. Contact your cable company to ask if a set-top box will be needed, when it will be needed, and if there will be a cost. Any related costs will be determined by the cable company.
The Digital TV Transition: FAQs - Consumer Corner - Cable and Satellite

I was under the assumption that they had until 2012 to decide wether to get rid of the analog tier and make everyone get a cable box.

Comcast is already trying to get people off the analog tier and get digital (albeit standard definition or HD if you have an HD set).

They are already taking alot of channels off the analog tier and putting them on the digital lineup. They are putting up blue screens saying "If you want this channel, you must subscribe to a digital package" or some bs like that.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
The regulation passed gives MSOs two ways of providing analog service, either analog itself (what you're used to, probably), or digital converted to analog by a set-top box (which they can charge a fee for).

After 2012, even that requirement may be relaxed.

The regulation passed gives MSOs two ways of providing analog service, either analog itself (what you're used to, probably), or digital converted to analog by a set-top box (which they can charge a fee for).

After 2012, even that requirement may be relaxed.
I find it ironic that MSOs have touted superior picture quality all of these years and after 6-12-09, they'll be providing analog services when OTA has transitioned to digital.

They stand to make a bit of money forcing consumers to rent a box, and with no regulation to stop that, I'm willing to be that most MSOs will be transitioned by 2012 anyway.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
I find it ironic that MSOs have touted superior picture quality all of these years and after 6-12-09, they'll be providing analog services when OTA has transitioned to digital.
Well, they'll be providing both -- and the analog they're providing mostly because they're being forced to (though there are some competitive advantages to doing so).

They stand to make a bit of money forcing consumers to rent a box, and with no regulation to stop that, I'm willing to be that most MSOs will be transitioned by 2012 anyway.
Like I said, if they wanted to do that, they could do that now. All that changes in 2012 is that they will no longer be required to offer STBs that have analog outputs.